Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rob's been at the medicine cabinet again...

rob marshall

Rob's been at the medicine cabinet again...

These were all shot on my black perspex sheet. Because of the angle that I took the first four, the surface looks light instead of dark - that's the reflection of the back-lit studio light softbox that was placed behind the objects. That also created the dramatic shadows, which I thought were quite good.

All shot with Canon 5D Mk2 and Sigma 105mm. Studio flash lights with softbox/umbrella.

C&C welcome

This one was taken at a very low angle, with the lens resting on the perspex. I used the liquify tool in CS5 for the distortion.

Real Name
    Raylee

Re: Rob's been at the medicine cabinet again...

I love them all Rob. They are just the sort of images that appeal to me - simple but strong. Cutlery #5 is probably my favourite. It has an intimacy to it - it's as if you've peeked in on a private moment. What a strange thing to say about forks but that's what it evokes in me. Maybe I'd better dip into your medicine cabinet too? But I guess that I'm already using some of the same stuff as you are.

You set the bar so high!

R

Real Name
    Janis

I'm liking them too, Rob. The distortions in #4 are wicked cool.

And I can view them all from a somewhat more educated perspective now that I am three chapters into the book Light: Science and Magic, which is quite wonderful. Thanks to those in this forum who put me on to it.

Real Name
    Peter

Very good set Rob. Rather than try and pick one strong one I think #1 is the weakest of the set. I like the variation of changing the light source.

Real Name
    Kay

very cool! - I agree with Peter about #1 though - maybe it is the tines on the forks that give them more dimension and the spoons are just that bit flatter??
    Very nice kitchen set

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    I'm liking them too, Rob. The distortions in #4 are wicked cool.

And I can view them all from a somewhat more educated perspective now that I am three chapters into the book Light: Science and Magic, which is quite wonderful. Thanks to those in this forum who put me on to it.
    You're welcome! It's a very good book, indeed. Chapter one is all about light reflection and the angles of reflection, which was very relevant with these shots I did. Changing the angles slightly of lens/lights made a big difference.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    It has an intimacy to it - it's as if you've peeked in on a private moment. What a strange thing to say about forks but that's what it evokes in me.
    LOL! The sex life of forks

Real Name
    Mel Timtiman

I like the monochrome effect on #5. Another great example of "art from the simplest of things".

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

These are great Rob and I too especially like the last. The intersecting lines and areas of light on the top of the middle fork add a lot of depth to the whole.

Fork sex - who would have thunk it, although I'm working on vege sex at the moment.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    These are great Rob and I too especially like the last. The intersecting lines and areas of light on the top of the middle fork add a lot of depth to the whole.

Fork sex - who would have thunk it, although I'm working on vege sex at the moment.
    Did you hear the one about the conductor who fired the saxiphonist, and then fired the violinist right before the orchestra was to record a TV show ...

... just too much sax and violins on TV these days!

Real Name
    Jeroen

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    It has an intimacy to it - it's as if you've peeked in on a private moment. What a strange thing to say about forks but that's what it evokes in me.
    Raylee's comment says it all. If you be able to make a (photographic) story out of only a couple of forks lying on the table, than you developed to a level in photography that is above getting the technical stuff and composition right.

I like #3 the best. It's so striking subtle and pronounced. I like how the light forms a graduate background form the right top to the left bottom part.

#4 also tells a good story. The lighting is great though I think it suffered a bit form the contrast enhancements (like on the right side of the right fork).

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    I like #3 the best. It's so striking subtle and pronounced. I like how the light forms a graduate background form the right top to the left bottom part.
    Yes, I too liked #3. It has a sensual quality to it - the curves, I think.