Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Light Meter

Re: Which Light Meter

There's a free app for the iPhone "Long Exposure Calculator" It's very easy to use. Enter the correct exposure and choose the ND filter and it will calculate the exposure. ND filters could double as a stop if you are not using one.

There's a free app for the iPhone "Long Exposure Calculator" It's very easy to use. Enter the correct exposure and choose the ND filter and it will calculate the exposure. ND filters could double as a stop if you are not using one.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    . An incident light meter will expose both of these correctly, although I would advise caution in getting the light meter too close to the bear!
    This reminds me that when I used a Weston Master for situations like this one uses the back of your hand

Real Name
    Tareq Alhamrani

I have Sekonic 758D and i don't know where i lost it, in fact i don't use it at all even for studio, the only times i used it is when i was testing my studio lights for first time or for some portraits of my daughters, but then i never used it again.

I want to buy another light meter for my film cameras, but i wanted one without a battery power, so i can use it always anytime with film without worrying about when the battery is running out.

Real Name
    Richard

My "oldie-but-goodie" Sekonic L-718 can measure up to 30 minute exposure.

http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/l-718_english.pdf

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a more up-to-date meter but, it does an excellent job measuring incident, reflected and flash exposures...

Best of all, it cost me less that $100 USD on eBay several years ago and it came with the 5 degree viewfinder, an accessory.

Real Name
    David

I thought I wanted a light meter, then checked the price of the sekonic et al.
    It got me thinking though...
    I checked and my phone (Nokia Lumia 820) has an ambient light meter. I imagine fancier phones like iphones also have this hardware
    There are also apps that utilise this meter like this one
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...f-9a2ed83f05b6
    I downloaded it and confirmed it is using the light meter and not the phone camera (by covering the camera and seeing if it still works). Now I know where the light meter is on my phone too!

I also saw another app claiming to be a light meter that uses the camera as the exposure meter, i.e. a reflected light meter, which is something to watch out for.

However, the existence of this light meter, I believe, is just to auto adjust screen settings for readability. I don't know how accurate this phone light meter is. Without a good light meter, I 'm not sure how to test it!

Has anyone had success with phone apps as light meters?

P.S. For the OP, that particular app doesn't have longer shutter speeds than 30s for calculation purposes, but there must be an app that does (and who the hell owns a Windows Phone anyway)
    Edit: Just saw how old the initial post was. OP is probably sorted for a light meter by now!

Real Name
    David

I found this add-on light meter for iPhone users
    Last edited by D L; 6th November 2014 at 03:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12