Thread: ALERT - malware

Real Name
    Pops

ALERT - malware

Attempting to download GIMP from <graphics . populardownloads . com> alerts for malware in peerblock and AVG.

Pops

Real Name
    Steve

Re: ALERT - malware

Use the official download site:

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

Sometimes you can get targeted anywhere. Recently I had a supposed Windows warning about having contracted a virus; which was quickly followed by a bit of software called System Tools 2011 which claimed to be running an anti virus check and had already discovered 38 viruses.

I immediately pulled the plug on the computer then restarted and did a few checks. The alleged programme had partially loaded onto my hard disk but I was able to delete it. An anti virus check then located a Trojan which also had to be manually removed.

So far, it appears that I have successfully removed the threat.

Real Name
    Pops

Steve: I did so, but wanted to alert people, as it is presently the first site that shows up on a google for GIMP. That means that it was hacked very recently.

Geoff, those viri are the ones I hate the most. You did exactly the right thing. I run AVG (free) and MalWareBytes (free) together, as they don't interfere with each other and they catch those before they get in to muck up your system.

Pops

Real Name
    Paul

I run the same Pops, better than any I have purchased outright.

Pops; I actually use Zonealarm (the pay version) and Spy Bot (free) plus the Windows basic updates etc.

This was one of those problems which overcome all of the security devices by pretending to be a new programme download so it gets accepted; unless the computer operator is as cynical and distrustful as I am!

After I had manually deleted the accessible parts of the pseudo software Zonealarm was able to identify what remained as a Trojan. But prior to this stage the problem wasn't noticed as being suspicious.

A friend was recently caught out by a similar type of attack which pretended to be updating his anti virus software.

So the only warning and suggestion I can make is to always be on your guard. If you delete or refuse something which is genuine it will reapply again.

Real Name
    Will

A few months back there were quite a few stories about the program you seem to have had a run in with. Another software to add to the non interfering free category are ClamWin and Microsoft security essentials.

Glad you were that warry about the software.

-Sonic