Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hell has Just Frozen Over

Hell has Just Frozen Over

OK you rotten lot. Against my better judgement I have had a go at this self-portrait lark. Not easy is it and you can blame Katy and Kay for subjecting you to this. I went for the softish focus effect trying to emulate the Margaret Cameron look (not me the style of photograph). I take not responsibility for cracked monitor screens Its not pretty but it is me....or is it?

Re: Hell has Just Frozen Over

I just innocently came to the forum, today, to ask about saturated colors and dof and what do I find....???

Oh, Steve! You're so cute! And, I know it's really you because I recognize the hand with the ring from that other infamous (and vaaaaaaaaaaaary scary - I think you won that comp) photo of you.

Just tell me again, however, how is this MY fault....?

I have no clue, really, about portraiture - I haven't gotten there, yet. (I'm struggling through composition and lighting, at the mo.) I love these, though - so much character! I just have a question. Why is there so much background space on the first one? and,....Soft lighting and a "tough", unlit ciggie? Oh, LOL!

I'll let someone who knows what in the world they're talking about comment but, very fun/funny, friend!

Just tell me again, however, how is this MY fault....?
    You sowed the seed in our recent conversations....

Why is there so much background space on the first one? and,....Soft lighting and a "tough", unlit ciggie? Oh, LOL!
    Yes, I think you are right there is a little too much negative space. I was having real trouble getting the focus so the composition went out the window. It really is quite difficult to do this on your own. I will get Rebecca to help next time. The cigarette should really have been lit but I am not allowed to smoke in the house, near the kids, near the cat, near buildings, near food or after sex I even get told off for rolling them in the house because I leave tobacco everywhere. I really should pack it in.....or maybe a pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    You sowed the seed in our recent conversations....
    And you're egging me on? sigh.

It really is quite difficult to do this on your own. I will get Rebecca to help next time.
    I know! I'm impressed with all you guys' ability with light and focus and, then, composition...

The cigarette should really have been lit but I am not allowed to smoke in the house, near the kids, near the cat, near buildings, near food or after sex I even get told off for rolling them in the house because I leave tobacco everywhere. I really should pack it in.....or maybe a pipe
    and, she's right!!! (Although, why do pipes always not seem so bad?) Although, I have to say, the way you've done this photo is just great - very deep insight into your character and isn't that what this photography thing is about, sort of?

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Always nice to see a face to go with a "forum friend." I like the second shot best...you were going for soft focus, I would have preferred sharp but I'm not on record as having taste. The first shot is fine but your left arm seems a little awkward to me, almost looks like it belongs to someone else. A slightly different crop might help. I like the duotone look on both.

Chuck

Real Name
    Raylee

Yes!:d

Thanks for your comment all.

Chuck I see what you mean about the arm. To be honest all my limbs look like they belong to somebody else. I am 6ft 6ins tall so I am not what you call conventionally proportioned

Raylee, it could be someone else. I am not sure that it is me myself. He looks far too old and moth eaten and his sense of style is far to Bohemian. I went to a funeral last Friday and as I was getting ready I was fumbling frantically with a black tie. I realised I hadn't worn a tie for nearly 18 months. Its a good job we are valued for our brains rather than our Marks and Spencer loyalty cards at work. Although, we did get a communication suggesting that the gear worn on dress down Fridays was unprofessional. I assumed I was included in that dig so I replaced the pink laces in my sneakers with green ones...very smart

Well...127 views and only Steve (Arith) has taken the mickey. I am most disappointed in you all. I am losing my faith in humanity. I had steeled myself to ward off the string of ego dinging snipes but not a dickey bird. I even posted my torso shot on DeviantART and instead of muffled tittering across the web...people posted me in their feature galleries and favourites What do you make of that sort of behaviour? Most strange.

Real Name
    Yegor

There is Russian rock group DDT - vocal is Jury Shevchyuk. It is very similar to the person from a portrait

Real Name
    Raylee

Well...127 views and only Steve (Arith) has taken the mickey. I am most disappointed in you all. I am losing my faith in humanity. I had steeled myself to ward off the string of ego dinging snipes but not a dickey bird. I even posted my torso shot on DeviantART and instead of muffled tittering across the web...people posted me in their feature galleries and favourites What do you make of that sort of behaviour? Most strange.
    How can I take the mickey out of you when you're my English cousin? This is family!

You do remind me of someone though. I'm trying to work out who - it has to be a musician or actor.

I want to see you looking like Joey Ramone in a leather jacket.

R

There is Russian rock group DDT - vocal is Jury Shevchyuk. It is very similar to the person from a portrait
    Now that I like....Russian Rock band eh? Now thats cool

You do remind me of someone though.
    Bought a copy of the Big Issue off him by any chance?

How can I take the mickey out of you when you're my English cousin? This is family!
    Don't you fret my little upside down cuz'...I can take it

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Oh well, no competition from there!

Real Name
    Kay

OK you rotten lot. Against my better judgement I have had a go at this self-portrait lark. Not easy is it and you can blame Katy and Kay for subjecting you to this.
    Hey don't blame me - you know Australians have a reputation for trotting along behind the Americans and following their lead
    which of course means our friend across the Big ditch must be the instigator

I like the somewhat quizzical air in #2

Real Name
    Raylee

Eric Clapton. That's who you remind me of. A younger version of course.

R

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Hey don't blame me - you know Australians have a reputation for trotting along behind the Americans and following their lead
    which of course means our friend across the Big ditch must be the instigator

I like the somewhat quizzical air in #2
    I'm still not quite sure how I did this???

...and, I have to say that all of this time, for some reason, I thought that you had a ponytail.

rob marshall

Steve

You look a lot younger than I imagined. I'm reminded of those Sunday supplement articles where Murdoch's hacks bang out a life-style piece for the weekend Audi-mob and attach a shot of themselves taken when they left university 20 years before. You look intelligent, you look thoughtful, and actually you look a little bit like Philip Larkin (your parents, they f*** you up HERE)

Well done, mon ami, but we eagerly await the shot of you in Wire-Vixen's boots, taken while she was out shopping at Ikea for cushions to fit in the French-window seat that overlooks the post-modernist industrial nirvana of Warrington.
    Last edited by rob marshall; 14th February 2011 at 05:35 PM.

Real Name
    neil

very good... but I always think cigarettes need to be lit... otherwise they just look like a prop...

Thanks for your comments everyone. A Russian rock star, Eric Clapton or Phillip Larkin....yea I can live with that

I wasn't sulking. I nearly had an Elvis moment though. Started feeling a little sick and woozy at work, went to the toilet and the cubicle started spinning big time...then the involuntary vomiting. After 20mins I managed to ring the emergency number on my mobile and ended up with the security, the first aider, 2 paramedics and one of the company nurses tending me in one of the traps. I knew it was a severe Meniers attack but they insisted on an ECG (no more torso shots for a while, those sticky pads are murder to get off) blood sugar tests and blood pressure thingies on each arm. They took me to hospital to make sure it wasn't a stroke but everything is working fine. Better safe than sorry. By the time I was seen by a doctor the effects were wearing off so I didn't get the Stemitil and antihisatamime injection. Which is a pity because it makes me feel rather drowsy and high.

First time its happened at work. I usually get warning of one of these and do not go in. Still I have had a couple of days rest and am ready to get back to it.

Oh well, no competition from there!
    I know Donald but I had to keep the mystery going as long as possible. It seems you only possible challenger now is the Lone Ranger

You look a lot younger than I imagined. I'm reminded of those Sunday supplement articles where Murdoch's hacks bang out a life-style piece for the weekend Audi-mob and attach a shot of themselves taken when they left university 20 years before
    No, thats all 48 years of me. And if I had an Audi I would be wearing a syrup and applying Olay for him.
    Well done, mon ami, but we eagerly await the shot of you in Wire-Vixen's boots, taken while she was out shopping at Ikea for cushions to fit in the French-window seat that overlooks the post-modernist industrial nirvana of Warrington

I actually like that scenario...I can see that depicted in a Stanley Spencer painting

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I know Donald but I had to keep the mystery going as long as possible. It seems you only possible challenger now is the Lone Ranger
    No, that's okay - I think he's still committed to Tonto!

Sorry to hear about your little 'glitch'. Doesn't sound as though it was a bundle of laughs. Glad to hear that you're back to fighting strength.