Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My first DSLR shots

Real Name
    Elaine

My first DSLR shots

Here's my first few pics taken using a DSLR. Our 7 month old border terrier Frisa.

My first DSLR shots

My first DSLR shots

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: My first DSLR shots

Good work on the 1st image, Elaine. The way you composed the image is also good. Once you have familiarized yourself with the basic controls of your new DSLR, your images will get better and better. Don't forget to visit our tutorials here about exposure, depth of field, and rule of thirds. That helped me a lot when I started last Nov., 2010.

Real Name
    Elaine

Thanks for the comment. I am enjoying learning and spend time when I can just "messing about" with the camera to help me get used to it. Pup and our cats are getting fed up already!

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Cute shots. Have fun getting to know your new camera.

The first one is fine except for a blemish on the wall which I would 'repaint' with the clone tool (or similar retouching tool). Quite easy to do but if you aren't familiar with image retouching; leave it.

The second photo has focused on the dog's nose and bedding which has left everything else a bit 'soft'. When possibly (and it frequently isn't) try to focus on the eyes. And I expect that you have a rather short depth of field here. Closing up the aperture (using a 'higher' F number) should help although this often compromises other settings.

This is where the auto settings often go badly wrong by choosing too low an ISO number which forces the camera into using a shallow focusing (F number) aperture.

Real Name
    Elaine

Hi Geoff, thanks for the comments and advice which is always appreciated. The "mark" on the first pic is actually a handle on the drawer and it was the first thing I noticed when I saw the shot on screen arrghh! As yet I haven't ventured in to photoshop, but hopefully I will at some point as I know how good it can be.

Elaine