Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Brazen Fox

Real Name
    Richard

Brazen Fox

Taken at Bombay Hook NWR late in the afternoon. This guy was running his territorial border, scent marking every 50 meters or so as he trotted along a road. I was about a dozen feet from him in my car. http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5012/...ab3fcedf_z.jpg

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Brazen Fox

Opps, sorry, lets try this. Brazen Fox

Real Name
    Wendy

Nice going, I love the focus on the eye and use of DOF to soften the rest of the image. Very intelligent looking animal. I'd love to get a shot like this.

Wendy

Real Name
    Paul

Very nice, quite a good looking fox.

Real Name
    Brian

It doesn't quite work for me - the crop is tight at the top , cutting the ear off, yet there is a load of space at the bottom

Real Name
    Chris

Didn't work for me either but if you were to recrop the image thusly, it will work much better...of course, that's my opinion, but Paul is right in the cropped out ear drawing the eye away from the rest of the scene...where there is simply too much room doing little to promote the vision of this guy.

Brazen Fox

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks for all the comments, I agree with idea that the ear should be in the picture, and there is dead space at the bottom. This photo was not cropped prior to posting, but I did get a bunch more, none quite so tight as this one. What do you think of t his one. Brazen Fox

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Richard,

First off welcome to the CiC forums - I don't think we have 'conversed' before

I like the second one much better, but I think it would benefit from losing 10-15% off the right hand side and possibly (no more than 5% off the top.

The problem is that the central focus point forces many to use it, especially on wildlife when there my not be time to select another (even if you can) and that spoils the composition - so I would say almost any shot can be improved with a crop in PP.

Must dash,

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Richard,

First off welcome to the CiC forums - I don't think we have 'conversed' before

I like the second one much better, but I think it would benefit from losing 10-15% off the right hand side and possibly (no more than 5% off the top.

The problem is that the central focus point forces many to use it, especially on wildlife when there my not be time to select another (even if you can) and that spoils the composition - so I would say almost any shot can be improved with a crop in PP.

Must dash,
    Thanks, Dave, I appreciate your comments. And, I have been enjoying the forum and learning quite a bit. As you note, in the momentBrazen Fox there wasn't time to compose the shot, except he was very compliant and I did get several. So, I have trimmed the shot and it is, as you suggest, improved with the crop. Richard

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Richard and welcome CiC,

I am just catching up on some posts. For whatever reason I cannot see the second post but the cropped one is great. Lovely expression well placed in the frame and beautiful complimentary background.

I like both images but the cropped one is the winner.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Richard and welcome CiC,

I am just catching up on some posts. For whatever reason I cannot see the second post but the cropped one is great. Lovely expression well placed in the frame and beautiful complimentary background.

I like both images but the cropped one is the winner.
    Thanks, Peter, I appreciate the compliment.