Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Abstract C&C please!

Real Name
    Shawnda

Abstract C&C please!

I am not quite for sure if this would be considered abstract or not, but thought it was a good subject to put this under.

One of the things I have been working on is my manual focus technique. I have been taking a lot of photos in manual mode to allow me to learn more about how my picture taking actually is. Therefore, I took these photos while trying to focus on something in particular.

The first two of these photos, my intent was to focus on the ball in the middle. I don't think I did that great, but thought I would get some feedback on some technique for this particular method, when you have objects in a row and you're wanting to focus in one the middle object. I included photos in both colour and black and white. I like the B&W better!

Abstract C&C please!

Abstract C&C please!

This photo here, well let's just say it's cold outside. I live in Dallas and I'm getting bombarded with ice and snow. They predicted anywhere between 1-3 inches of snow, we got 6 inches. They lied, those bastards. Anyways - I tracked myself outside before the sun really got up and going and snapped some photos.

This is of the fire hydrant on the corner of my street. My focal point in this photo is the chain.

Let me know whatcha think!
    Abstract C&C please!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Abstract C&C please!

Shawnda

First, your question about it being abstract. I wouldn't consider it as so, for the reason that, to over simply a bit for effect, I can recognise what it is. I think an abstract image has got to go right out-of-the-box in terms of removing a sense of reality. So, I would say it's getting towards being a graphic image that's very much abouit line, shape, tone and texture, but is not abstract.

In terms of focusing - Good on you for setting yourself this challenge to master manual focusing. Once you are the master of that you will feel more 'in control' of your work and, whilst you can and will use auto-focusing, you will have that better understanding of what's going on and how you manage what auto-focus gives you.

Have you studies papers/articles on hyperfocal distance? Sean tutorial on here and this one, I have referred to often before cover all that, I think, needs to be said on the subject. Both are very, very good.
    Last edited by Donald; 4th February 2011 at 09:42 PM.