Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Think I messed up a post

Real Name
    Chris

Think I messed up a post

The two pictures below are from a series of 14 photos taken of students and an administrator for a special Cambridge International program. I only was given 7 days to shoot, process, print and mount in 11" x 14" size.

Please be gentle as I do not much fancy myself as a portrait photographer...Seeing this, Colin will rest much easier tonight...

Think I messed up a post

Think I messed up a post

Two very inexpensive, underlumed lights with umbrella reflectors and my camera flash.

rob marshall

Re: Think I messed up a post

Chris

Nice models, and a suitable context setting. Couple of things I noticed though...

1. The WB looked a bit warm to me. With the first one, there is a lot of red anyway with the hair and sweater, but the table top looks a bit too orange on my monitor. I cooled it a little, but not sure what it's going to look like on your monitor.

2. The crop is a little tight on the left (shot #1) I'd say either crop a lot on a portrait, or include everything of the model.

3. The crossed hands look a bit unusual/artificial, and as such distracts my attention away from the model's face.

4. I would have removed the book (?) from the top of her head.

The clarinet player shot is the better of the two, I think. Good shot.

Think I messed up a post

Real Name
    Remco

Ah, I wondered where the images had gone in that thread...
    Weren't there three originally? From memory, I liked the third best

Remco

Real Name
    Chris

There were three at that point, Revi, but I didn't have a parent permission on #3 at that time and had to withdraw it...

Rob, on my monitor, it too looks a tad warmish and when I got to school where the bigger printer is, I had to cool all the images down a bit, but not quite as far as yours went. As to their poses, I did nothing but ask them to sit in a manner which was comfortable to them and that they could use whatever props were natural to what identified them to their peers. If I had my way, I would have shot the girl with the Clarinet in the band room where she sits as first chair...but I was merely an extention of the camera as it were and got very little control over any of it.
    I think I am going to have to go through the tutorial again on balancing the screen to the shot...arrrrggghhhhhhhh. I still have the same monitor as with my old system but now have whole new CPU. Dang!

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Rob, on my monitor, it too looks a tad warmish and when I got to school where the bigger printer is, I had to cool all the images down a bit, but not quite as far as yours went.
    I probably went a bit too far, and I was doing it from a low-res JPEG. One thing I forgot to mention is that I raised the exposure about 2/3 stop. You can see the difference in the shadow areas around her eyes.