Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dew you like?

Real Name
    Krisztina

Dew you like?

Took this photo in the morning of Jan 18...What do you think?

Dew you like?
    Photo info:
    Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
    ISO: 400
    Exposure: 1/60 sec
    Aperture: 4.0
    Focal Length: 60mm
    Flash Used: Yes

To me it looks good- especially since I found hard to keep still. Found holding my breath help
    but I'm assuming it was set up wrong bc, I should use ISO 200?
    Any tips to make a correct exposure? Or shall I say, How can this photo be improved?
    Last edited by Captured; 4th February 2011 at 02:26 AM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Dew you like?

Good use of background separation by blurring it, Krisztina. I would probably recommend that you strengthen the focus on the main subject, it still looks a bit blurry here. Also, don't forget the use of good positioning. The rule of thirds still applies even in macro photography. As for your question about correct exposure, there are no major bright areas that will fool the camera meter so using the evaluative metering on this one will work. I think your exposure is OK, the focus is not. I think you did good here.

Mind if I edit your work? This is one of the possibilities that you could do in repositioning the dew drop for a different composition.

Dew you like?
    Last edited by jiro; 4th February 2011 at 02:52 AM.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Oooh, yes, I do remember having issues with focusing that day- and it bugged me bc I didn't know why!

I will keep a sharper eye on that
    And thank you, I do need to visit info about composition and the rule of thirds!

Jiro has good insight! Also, it really, really helps to use a tripod. Nicely seen, Krisztina!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

If you are in doubt with regards to your focus, go with an aperture of f/8 or f/11 for a start, it might probably help. Shoot some more up to f/16 if possible (although the problem is that the background will now start to get in focus, too). This means that you have to use Av Mode on your camera so you'll keep the same exposure value even if you are changing the aperture values. Maybe you could try manual focusing as an alternative so you can keep the aperture at f4 just like the way you shot it. As Katy says, the use of tripod would definitely help a lot. Good luck!

rob marshall

Krisztina

The subject here is the grass stem with the dew. As Jiro says, it should fill more of the frame.

I think most of the stem is burnt out (over-exposed). I put the JPEG into my RAW editor (CS5) and it showed about 50% red (blown) on the stem and dew-drop. As a result, you have lost some detail on the subject. I do a lot of shots like this and I often find the best way to deal with bright-spots is to find the brightest spot using spot-meter mode, then set the readings in manual mode but give it a little bit more exposure compensation. That will make the background darker, but that often helps, as it gives more prominence to the subject - and you needed to do that with this shot.

It was probably the flash that caused the problem. Was it a pop-up you used? Pop-up flash can be very harsh due to it's small light source area. I often use an off-camera flash gun, which I diffuse using either a clip on diffuser (reasonable success) or shoot through a translucent diffuser screen that you get with a cheap fold-out reflector.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Krisztina

The subject here is the grass stem with the dew. As Jiro says, it should fill more of the frame.

I think most of the stem is burnt out (over-exposed). I put the JPEG into my RAW editor (CS5) and it showed about 50% red (blown) on the stem and dew-drop. As a result, you have lost some detail on the subject. I do a lot of shots like this and I often find the best way to deal with bright-spots is to find the brightest spot using spot-meter mode, then set the readings in manual mode but give it a little bit more exposure compensation. That will make the background darker, but that often helps, as it gives more prominence to the subject - and you needed to do that with this shot.

It was probably the flash that caused the problem. Was it a pop-up you used?
    (yes)
    Pop-up flash can be very harsh due to it's small light source area. I often use an off-camera flash gun, which I diffuse using either a clip on diffuser (reasonable success) or shoot through a translucent diffuser screen that you get with a cheap fold-out reflector.
    ( I still have a lot to learn before I can even think about any type of upgrades, or additions, like the flash gun which you mention. As it is, I am very fortunate to be able to use the camera/ lens that I have ( a good friend of mine let me use her 'old camera indefinately, knowing I can't afford one yet, and would like to learn the Dslr )
    Thank You all!

Real Name
    Krisztina

Mind if I edit your work? This is one of the possibilities that you could do in repositioning the dew drop for a different composition.

Dew you like?[/QUOTE]
    Just saw the edited pic- Oooh, I like!
    Thanks!!