Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fatal Beauty

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Fatal Beauty

One more from yesterday's studio shoot. Hard key light, soft fill & hair lights.

I figured I'd been shooting her all evening, so must be her turn to shoot me (luckily she missed!)

Fatal Beauty

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Fatal Beauty

I Like the composition and the concept. Colin. I'd probably recommend lowering the height of the main light. The shadow on the nose touches the upper lip area. I'm not so sure if that is really a standard on this kind of shot. It'd be nice if you can make a deliberate comparison between 2 shots; one with the shadow not touching the lips and this one. I probably read too much books, that's why.

Real Name

Hi Willie,

I like to use Rembrant lighting for many of these types of shot (hence the shadow connecting with the mouth); unfortunately though, with high-contrast lighting, one has to also bring the lit much further around the front to avoid "dead eye", which changes it's effect.

I actually varied the light in height and position quite a bit for this series, and this was the best I came up with - also, lowering it more puts a shadow on the face from the gun

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Now I understand. Thanks for the explanation. She's really a nice model, btw.

I think a little bit more retouching on her nose and cheeks would be better. Just my opinion.

Real Name
    Paul

I like it Colin, but if I can sound picky for a moment. Two trigger fingers?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoLover View Post
    I think a little bit more retouching on her nose and cheeks would be better. Just my opinion.
    Hi PhotoLover,

Thanks for that.

I thought about it, but decided against it ... for a normal soft light portrait I would, but with hard light / gun etc we thought that something a bit more edgy would be more appropriate. Having said that though, the hard light (a medium grid) is pretty harsh on skin texture, so I did a bit of skin smoothing (or she might have pulled out a real gun afterwards!), but left the specularity.

PS: What's your first name?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Now I understand. Thanks for the explanation. She's really a nice model, btw.
    Thanks Willie .... yeah - she's a lovely girl & lovely to work with. Very tall, with a great figure too.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    I like it Colin, but if I can sound picky for a moment. Two trigger fingers?
    Hi Paul,

I think it was her first time modeling in a studio - by that stage she was getting a little tired (600+ frames over 11 sets); most of it she was great at, but the gun set just seemed a bit awkward for some reason.

Real Name
    Paul

Well she did fantastic and I doubt I would last 50 shots.

Real Name
    Doug

Very nice composition and lighting. The skin tone is very good and the texture is soft. I like it.