Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

  1. #1
    Captured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grand Terrace, California
    Posts
    192
    Real Name
    Krisztina

    The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    I'm using a canon rebel, with a 60mm lens.Usually trying to capture images of my daughter.
    Please excuse my lack of terminology and the way I try to describe my situation.

    the issue I have had is with the built in light meter. There are times when it is bouncing back and forth - why does it do that?

    What changes do I need to make when that happens? Do I change aperture, an/ or iso speed? and/or the metering mode?

    How do I set a fast shutter, or slow shutter speed and keep the light meter balanced(ish) for the desired exposure?

    For ex: I want to take an action shot- I have to the dial to a certain shutter speed- but what if at that shutter speed, the lighting is too dark or too light?

    Does this make any sense?
    Does anyone know what I'm trying to ask?...I'll prob. have to think about it some more, and re-ask the question.

  2. #2
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,803
    Real Name
    John

    Re: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captured View Post
    I'm using a canon rebel, with a 60mm lens.Usually trying to capture images of my daughter.
    Please excuse my lack of terminology and the way I try to describe my situation.

    the issue I have had is with the built in light meter. There are times when it is bouncing back and forth - why does it do that?

    What changes do I need to make when that happens? Do I change aperture, an/ or iso speed? and/or the metering mode?

    How do I set a fast shutter, or slow shutter speed and keep the light meter balanced(ish) for the desired exposure?

    For ex: I want to take an action shot- I have to the dial to a certain shutter speed- but what if at that shutter speed, the lighting is too dark or too light?

    Does this make any sense?
    Does anyone know what I'm trying to ask?...I'll prob. have to think about it some more, and re-ask the question.
    If you mean the indicator is changing from left, remaining there, then moving right then you are changing the light source you are measuring. When you hold down the shutter release button down partially, the indicator will either flash to the left, right, or point in both directions. If it points in both directions your settings are ideal and you can just take the photo. If the indicator is pointing to the left then increase your shutter speed, to the right decrease your shutter speed. Try a shot on AUTO mode and see what the settings are, then go to manual mode set the camera to the settings shown in AUTO and see which direction the indicators point. Turn off the flash when you try it in AUTO mode.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 3rd February 2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: added text

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    263
    Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

    Re: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    Hi Krisztina,

    I'm fighting with almost the same issues with my son. Indoor pictures without plenty of light .....duh....
    Try to do a little experiment:

    Shoot in Aperture priority. Change your mettering to center-weight mettering, from spot as is now, most probably. IF you have that option "Auto ISO", on my 40D is playing between ISO 100 to ISO 800, enable it. Canon AI try to keep the fastest shutter speed increasing ISO for a constant aperture.
    I'm assuming the 60mm is Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro, so F4 or F5.6 will be Ok.

    For action shoots, use built in flash with a diffuser. 1/4 of A4/legal piece of white paper, in front of flash will act as difuser and might help.
    Good luck,
    Leo

  4. #4

    Re: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    Do not chase the meter needle you will drive yourself insane and could well end up with a nervous tick. Use a grey card or a mid grey area of the image. Meter off that. Leave the settings alone and shoot. If the light is changing fast use Av mode. The semi auto settings can be very very useful. People viewing will not be aware that you have martyred yourself by nailing yourself to the 'M' cross.

    For ex: I want to take an action shot- I have to the dial to a certain shutter speed- but what if at that shutter speed, the lighting is too dark or too light?
    For manual do the same as above but obviously you are anchoring one corner of the exposure triangle. This leaves you with aperture and ISO to get the correct exposure. If you wish to avoid high ISO (and you will with a rebel) you either need to shoot in bright conditions or you need to get closer in and use a speedlite.

    Hope that makes sense Krisztina....THIS is well worth reading through a few times

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    Hi Krisztina,

    What metering mode is your camera in? Av mode would be the normal for this kind of shooting, and in Av mode it won't "dance around" like that.

  6. #6
    Captured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grand Terrace, California
    Posts
    192
    Real Name
    Krisztina

    Re: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    Took some more pictures of my daughter today- mainly used AV mode, but threw in Manual as well

    https://picasaweb.google.com/Kriszti...eat=directlink
    C&C welcomed
    Only a few were edited...still learning that too. (GIMP)
    I realize that I need better composition- but it gets tough on the go following my daughter who doesn't stay still too long, and won't really look at me bc she's too busy playing
    Last edited by Captured; 14th February 2011 at 02:41 PM.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    Looks good to me

    I couldn't look through all of them as I'm down to dial-up speed for the next week, thanks to Daughters watching TV programs on the broadband, and using up a month's worth of data in 3 weeks

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Island, New Zealand
    Posts
    552
    Real Name
    Ken

    Re: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    Now you will really have to increase your data cap, as the daughters will keep on watching TV, and you have work to do

  9. #9
    Captured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grand Terrace, California
    Posts
    192
    Real Name
    Krisztina

    Re: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Looks good to me

    I couldn't look through all of them as I'm down to dial-up speed for the next week, thanks to Daughters watching TV programs on the broadband, and using up a month's worth of data in 3 weeks
    Thanks for looking, or trying to anyway. MUST BE VERY FRUSTRATING!!!.... time to regulate?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    Now you will really have to increase your data cap, as the daughters will keep on watching TV, and you have work to do
    The irony is that I have a 40GB plan for my business, of which I use about 4GB per month (but I need the more expensive plan because it comes with a free fixed IP address) ... so you'd think I could log in at home with the same credentials, but no - good old Xtra do it by phone number, not username these days

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: The camera's meter- getting the desired exposure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captured View Post
    Thanks for looking, or trying to anyway. MUST BE VERY FRUSTRATING!!!.... time to regulate?
    I wish the government would regulate the industry some days ... I get sick of paying around $500 a month for 2 phone lines and 2 broadband connections, plus an air card. I think they should charge for what I use, not for blocks of data whether I use it or not.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 14th February 2011 at 09:35 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •