Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Old Kent

New Old Kent

Watch out for Sergeant Troy chasing Bathsheba around the bales - OK they are modern bales and its the wrong county but who cares

New Old Kent

Re: New Old Kent

It definitely looks like haying time, to me. Hot - thunderstorms - mmmm, "nostalgia-ey"??? (with the scratchy texture on top - that kind of time of the year usually makes me feel that way, anyway. Maybe, its' the crickets.) It's not quite a peaceful photo, is it?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That big clump of dark area (is it trees?) coming into the frame on the horizon line at the left-hand side is frustratign me (stay cool - don't get frustrated). It feels like something intruding into the scene. I want to hit it sideways and knock it back outside the frame.

What if you cropped it to a 1:1 ratio from the top or bottom right hand corner, to get it the left-hand edge just to the left of that bale in the sort-of middle? Just a thought.

Real Name
    Myra

My first thought was, "Heavy artillery from the left!" There's a lot of energy in that photo.

Myra

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That big clump of dark area (is it trees?) coming into the frame on the horizon line at the left-hand side is frustratign me (stay cool - don't get frustrated). It feels like something intruding into the scene. I want to hit it sideways and knock it back outside the frame.

What if you cropped it to a 1:1 ratio from the top or bottom right hand corner, to get it the left-hand edge just to the left of that bale in the sort-of middle? Just a thought.
    I see what you mean, Donald; so, honest question: will that make it lose it's "pastoral" feel?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I see what you mean, Donald; so, honest question: will that make it lose it's "pastoral" feel?
    Hold a dark card up against the image on the computer screen and make the crop. I don't think it does.

Thanks for the comments Katy, Myra and Donald. I was trying to get a sort of creeping darkness effect. When I looked at this again this morning I nearly had kittens. There is a lot that needs rethinking here and I certainly think my choice of texture was ill advised. I like the idea but I am going to have to do a little more work before the image works.