Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Not sure what to call this...but

Real Name
    Chris

Not sure what to call this...but

in Monochrome Competition 110, Lanfranco has an image that pestered my brain to death until it dawned on me that I shot a similar shot in Glacier Park a few years ago...In this, I began looking at other images by the members of the forum and while I cannot say there is a pattern, there is definitely a commonality which exists in how we all aim the camera, absorb the scene, work the values, colors and angles for the absolute best shot we can derive from the moment.

I am forever harping on my students the need to "seek" the shot and not wait for it to reveal itself...that comes later with experience. The shot in this thread is not exactly like his, but it is that seeking we both found as a common moment in vision and scope.

It's been a long day and I could be crazier than a March hare, but I think there is something to this bond.

Anyway, Mr. Lanfranco, thanks for reviving a fun trip through the northern Rocky Mountians.

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Not sure what to call this...but

Rule of thirds, lines of contrast, leading lines, tell a story.

Hmmmm, do I see a commonality, here?

(Just being smartalec, here. )

Pops

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    in Monochrome Competition 110, Lanfranco has an image that pestered my brain to death until it dawned on me that I shot a similar shot in Glacier Park a few years ago...In this, I began looking at other images by the members of the forum and while I cannot say there is a pattern, there is definitely a commonality which exists in how we all aim the camera, absorb the scene, work the values, colors and angles for the absolute best shot we can derive from the moment.

I am forever harping on my students the need to "seek" the shot and not wait for it to reveal itself...that comes later with experience. The shot in this thread is not exactly like his, but it is that seeking we both found as a common moment in vision and scope.

It's been a long day and I could be crazier than a March hare, but I think there is something to this bond.

Anyway, Mr. Lanfranco, thanks for reviving a fun trip through the northern Rocky Mountians.
    very nice, Chris. very Ansel Adams. I like the layering effect and the leading nicely through the valley and out the back. Bigger hills than Wales.

Real Name
    John

One common thing about vacation photos is that on guided tours, we are often brought to the same spot for a quick look and see. The guides usually tell the group "this is a good spot for a photo". Another issue these days is heightened security which leaves fewer opportunities to get that unique shot. When I was on a tour a few years ago, we were returning from the Grand Canyon later than usual and as we passed the Hoover Dam we had a rare occasion to see the dam lit up with colored lights. However, there were state police and park rangers stationed along the road and we were not allowed to stop, so we tried our best to shoot through a tinted window at night. Sometimes it's best to visit a tourist attraction by yourself and sometimes a guide has access to or vision to see something different.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    very nice, Chris. very Ansel Adams. I like the layering effect and the leading nicely through the valley and out the back. Bigger hills than Wales.
    Those are hardly hills...them be big -A mountains. I went through a pass at 12,600 ft to get to the other side. This was shot with a Nikon 5700 point and shoot and coincidently, less than a day after attending a workshop with Al weber who was Ansel Adams printer for a number of years. I will take your reference to the Master as a great compliment.