Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Trembling Wren

  1. #1
    Ollokot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    562
    Real Name
    Pat

    Trembling Wren

    The Wren has a very loud song for such a small bird,(9.5cm) and when it sings the wee bird seems to tremble, I think this shot goes someway to show that.
    Best Wishes Pat

    Trembling Wren

  2. #2
    Peter Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,971
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Nicely captured Pat and I love the background.

  3. #3
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Very nice, Pat. Look at that bokeh... it's "bokehlicious"!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Nice shot pat. Very sharp ,good color, and lots of detail. Perhaps a crop where the eye is less centered would help. (personally i would like to see a little more of the post he's sitting on )

  5. #5
    Ollokot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    562
    Real Name
    Pat

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Thank you very much, Peter,jiro and steve for your comments.I did another crop and would be interested in your oppinion,personally I think it does enhance the image.
    Best Wishes Pat.

    Trembling Wren

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Trembling Wren

    I like it alot better pat. The iron pipe adds some interest (especially with the curved part) and the eye is on the upper 1/3 line. Well done.

  7. #7
    jeeperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    3,550
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: Trembling Wren

    I like the first one, but this one is a far more interesting crop. Nice shot.

  8. #8
    Peter Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,971
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: Trembling Wren

    I am in two minds here Pat. I did think the bird sat a little low in the frame in the first images. I like old rusty iron and while this is a more interesting crop I now find myself looking at the pipe and the bird.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    I am in two minds here Pat. I did think the bird sat a little low in the frame in the first images. I like old rusty iron and while this is a more interesting crop I now find myself looking at the pipe and the bird.
    Perhaps..............maybe because the pipe and bird are the same size. Maybe crop a little more off the bottom, but not so tight as the first one.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    304
    Real Name
    Tim

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Great shot. Second crop is the keeper in my book. My favorite bird pics are those that give the viewer a little insight into the subject's behaviors.
    Last edited by tameigh; 2nd February 2011 at 02:28 PM.

  11. #11
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,396
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Perhaps..............maybe because the pipe and bird are the same size. Maybe crop a little more off the bottom, but not so tight as the first one.
    Great capture Pat,

    I am with Steve on the crop.

  12. #12
    rob marshall

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Pat

    Did you hand-hold this? It's a very nice shot indeed, and a very pretty bird. But it looks slightly bleary to me. The shutter speed was 1/60s, which seems quite slow for a bird shot. You used ISO100 - I would have thought with the 50D (have one myself) that ISO200 would have been fine, and would have given you 1/120s.

    Good shot, though.

  13. #13
    Ollokot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    562
    Real Name
    Pat

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Hi Folks.
    Thank you all for your comments which have given me great encouragement.I agree with Steve on the crop.
    Rob,the shot was taken with a tripod from a bedroom window,I was watching the bird for three days the first day it landed on the pipe(used for a clothes line) so I set up the gear aimed for the top of the pipe, the following morning the bird arrived but did'nt land on said pipe.The thrid morning the wee bird obliged and I got the shot,I was hoping to portray how the bird trembles when it sings at the top of its voice, hence I think the bleary look on it's body feathers.I am a relative newcomer to photography Rob and am wondering would I have got the same effect at a faster shutter speed. Best Wishes Pat

  14. #14
    agaace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    183

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Love it! I like #1 better though, the metal part is too distracting in this otherwise all nature shot. I think I'd try uhm.. a vertical.. or square crop?
    Anyway, lovely colors and I like it how the bird was moving, so you got the eyes sharp but the rest of the little body a little fuzzy - looks a bit like the babylens effect, very cool

  15. #15
    rob marshall

    Re: Trembling Wren

    Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    Hi Folks.
    Thank you all for your comments which have given me great encouragement.I agree with Steve on the crop.
    Rob,the shot was taken with a tripod from a bedroom window,I was watching the bird for three days the first day it landed on the pipe(used for a clothes line) so I set up the gear aimed for the top of the pipe, the following morning the bird arrived but did'nt land on said pipe.The thrid morning the wee bird obliged and I got the shot,I was hoping to portray how the bird trembles when it sings at the top of its voice, hence I think the bleary look on it's body feathers.I am a relative newcomer to photography Rob and am wondering would I have got the same effect at a faster shutter speed. Best Wishes Pat
    I don't do wildlife shots, but from my few attempts I know that birds (especially small birds) can move a great deal. I would have thought you would need at least 1/100s at the very minimum. But perhaps other members who do shoot wildlife can advise better/

  16. #16
    Peter Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,971
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: Trembling Wren

    I do enjoy bird photography and normally shoot birds with a wide aperture for shallow DOF to isolate then against the background and also because it gives me a faster shutter to freeze the action because these little fellows move fast. You would not have captured the quivering motion of the bird at a faster shutter if this was what you were after but it would have given you a sharper body on the bird.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •