Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Small things in a big landscape

rob marshall

Small things in a big landscape

I was experimenting with small things (or things that look relatively small) in a large landscape space. I was interested in how the objects/people gave a sense of scale, or even distorted scale. C&C welcome.

I like this one best. It came out of the camera pretty much as you see it. The light was very odd - nearly sunset, no clouds at all, and a slight haze over everything.

Real Name
    Janis

Re: Small things in a big landscape

Hi Rob,

My first thought on seeing #3 was that you and Wendy are raiding the same medicine cabinet! (and that whatever it is, I wants me some ). Seriously though, to answer your question, I very much think that the scale of the subjects in #s 1 and 3 do distort perception, because (unless I am even blinder than I thought) the dog walkers and the lighthouse are barely perceptible as such and so either image could be perceived as being of a very small pool of water. In fact, that's how I initially perceived the first.

Real Name
    Paul

Really like the first one even though I can't see the dog walkers (?) - gives the impression though of being off horizontal. Number two lovely but a bit ... pastelly pink for me. Wife will love it though. My fave is number 3, nicely minimalist and composed - plus I can see the subject in this one and I think a monochrome version might be impressive.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by bambleweeney View Post
    Really like the first one even though I can't see the dog walkers (?) - gives the impression though of being off horizontal. Number two lovely but a bit ... pastelly pink for me. Wife will love it though. My fave is number 3, nicely minimalist and composed - plus I can see the subject in this one and I think a monochrome version might be impressive.
    Phew! as long as the wives like it...

The dog walkers are on the right bank of that small inlet. You can see the two people fairly clearly. The dog is to the right of the left-hand-side person. I can just see the dog, but I've had my cataracts removed and lens inplants put in, so my sight is pretty darn good without glasses. maybe it was a small dog?

rob marshall

My fave is number 3, nicely minimalist and composed - plus I can see the subject in this one and I think a monochrome version might be impressive.
    I thought about that, but wasn't too sure...

One and three really work for me Rob (preferring the colour version of 3). In both cases though I am not sure that the small subject add any sense of scale because it is difficult to tell what they are without prompting. I actually thing that adds to it. Particularly in No3. And yes, it could indeed be a view from Wendy's front porch (on duckless day)

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    In both cases though I am not sure that the small subject add any sense of scale because it is difficult to tell what they are without prompting. I actually thing that adds to it.
    I agree. That is the charm of nature abstracts for me.

Real Name
    Chris

I have mixed feeling about all three...once I get over them not being predictably yours, I found myself wondering what it was about them I liked and I had to stretch myself a bit. Minimalistically, they almost work but even in minimalistic art, there is generally a more defined focus than you are showing in image one. Two is more obvious, but doesn't really cover as minimal, and three is all three, but almost too far out to be realized as a lighthouse.

I think a tad closer in focal length, perhaps a bit more refined image might work better. I might also look toward reducing the scale or distance in this case, and perhaps even the angle of attack in image one...though unless you were in an airship, probalby not a likely shot. I would more likely call these isolationist pieces though even in that state, too undefined.

I think you are on to something here, but more work is needed. As always, the work is beautifully executed.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    The dog walkers are on the right bank of that small inlet. You can see the two people fairly clearly. The dog is to the right of the left-hand-side person.

Ok, thought it was a speck of dust on my monitor and tried real hard to remove it. Ten minutes of my life gone forever there then.
    Size of the lighthouse in #3 works for me. It may be small and in fact undiscernable as a lighthouse but the title of the picture tells me that that is what it is. I like the position in the frame and the way it cuts through two horizontal planes pulling the whole thing into a really nice composition. Whatever it is you can't miss it small or otherwise, I'll take your word for it that it is in fact a lighthouse but honestly I'm not too bothered - beautifully placed and amazing that something so miniscule can 'make' an image.

rob marshall

Ok, thought it was a speck of dust on my monitor and tried real hard to remove it. Ten minutes of my life gone forever there then.

Size of the lighthouse in #3 works for me. It may be small and in fact undiscernable as a lighthouse but the title of the picture tells me that that is what it is. I like the position in the frame and the way it cuts through two horizontal planes pulling the whole thing into a really nice composition. Whatever it is you can't miss it small or otherwise, I'll take your word for it that it is in fact a lighthouse but honestly I'm not too bothered - beautifully placed and amazing that something so miniscule can 'make' an image.
    Here's a close-up shot of the lighthouse. It's one of the last cast-iron light-houses in the UK. Lovely spot on the Gower peninsula, near Swansea.

Real Name
    Peter

HI Rob,

I looked and looked at these and then read the posts. I was trying to find words to express my feelings and Chris covered it. I look at images and wonder how they would look at A3 size on my wall and these just don't have enough in them for me.

Real Name
    Wendy

It probably goes without saying that I love them. 2 & 3 especially, not so much #1. My vote goes for the colour version of 3 which is my favourite.
    When it comes to scale and what you are experimenting with, I don't tend to see that except maybe in the sense of how big the world is and how small each individual thing or being is in comparison. Is that weird?

Wendy

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    It probably goes without saying that I love them.
    My ego is still willing to listen!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    When it comes to scale and what you are experimenting with, I don't tend to see that except maybe in the sense of how big the world is and how small each individual thing or being is in comparison. Is that weird?
    Not weird at all, in fact, that's exactly what i had in mind. The world (and I suppose the whole of existence) is a big place, and even though there are a lot of people and man-made things in it, sometimes they do seem very small in comparison. We sometimes tend to think too much of ourselves don't we?

(Note to self) Keep out of the medicine cabinet for a few days.