Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Here and need advice :)

Real Name
    Sarah

New Here and need advice :)

I just recently got my 1st great camera (Canon Rebel EOS 350 D )....in your opinion is this a good starter camera for an armature? Also am looking into a lens cover. Have read about the image quality and glare it could create and the different types. What i was wondering also is if i could get a good UV filter (Hoya multi-coated i'm leaning towards) and also a hood for extra protection? just want to make sure i am going the direction needed to protect my investment, but not be going to far as i am only beginning. thank you for your opinions Sarah....PLEASE GIVE ADVICE
    Last edited by scornish; 31st January 2011 at 06:49 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: New Here and need advice :)

Hi Sarah and welcome! I think the Rebel is a fine starter for ya. You should have a lens cover with your camera, but a lens filter like the hoya is "as far as many are concerned" a must! Nearly everyone here keeps one on their camera at all times. A hood is a nice added bit of protection but also needed to cut down the glare from light coming acrossed your filter. Don't worry to much about image quality problems with the filters, a good quality filter multi coated should cause you no issues. Hope you enjoy your new camera. Lets see some photos!

What lens/lenses, Sarah?

By today's standards, the 350D is a bit 'old fashioned' and low on pixels; but most people don't need to join the 'pixel race' and the extra camera technology has been mostly about making things easier for the camera user.

So yes, that is a suitable learning camera which will force you to do (and learn) things correctly instead of just pushing buttons.

Real Name
    Richard

As mentioned above... the 350D (Rebel XT) is quite a decent camera, several generations old but, still capable of producing quite respectable imagery. The clue to getting the best imagery from any DSLR camera is the lens you are shooting with.

The XT was originally supplied with the Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens which was or is called the "kit lens" because it was supplied with both the 350D and the previous 300D cameras as part of a "kit". This lens can produce decent imagery but, is not quite as good as the follow-up kit lens which has added IS (image stabilization) to its capabilities. In addition to IS, the newer kit lens is optically better than the original.

However, closed down a stop or two (shooting around f/8 or f/11) and shooting around ISO 200, the 350D and original kit lens can produce some quite good imagery. Place the camera/lens on a sturdy tripod and your image quality will be quite respectable...

When you mention "lens cover" my first thought was that you were talking about a lens cap (which is used to cover the front of the lens when that lens is not being used). However when you mention "glare" it leads me to believe that you might be talking about a lens hood, AKA sun shade. A lens hood is a very good addition to any lens and will protect the lens from both flare (glare?) and also protect it from physical damage.

Canon OEM lens hoods are quite expensive and that company only supplies them with the "L" quality lenses. However, there are Chinese knock-off Canon hoods available on eBay for a small fraction of the price of an OEM Canon hood. Here is an eBay link for a hood that will fit the 18-55mm kit lens... http://cgi.ebay.com/58mm-Flower-Came...item5d2be22654 BTW: I have used both Chinese and OEM hoods and the Chinese versions work equally as well. At $4.49 (USD) with free shipping, they are a bargain.

If you desire to use a UV filter to protect the lens, you will need a 58mm size for your lens. The top-line Hoya Super HMC Pro Multicoated filters run in the neighborhood of $38, while decent Hoya multicoated 58mm UV filters can be had between $18 and $28. I would usually recommend getting the absolute best filter available but, it doesn't seem fiscally sound to spend that much money protect a lens which can be replaced for fifty bucks. If it were my lens, I would just buy a lens hood and be careful using the lens. If you eventually damage it, you can then get an IS version for well under a hundred bucks.

I would however, purchase a circular polarizing filter for the lens. This filter improves many outdoor images significantly. The size CPL filter you will need is also 58mm. Hoya multicoated or B+W are top line polarizing filters. There is a used B+W on eBay going for $40 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/B-W-F-Pro-58mm-P...item230dbf0f9d ). There is a used Hoya multicoated filter for $20 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/58mm-HOYA-PL-CIR...item43a4e3c75c ).

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by scornish View Post
    Been trying to upload pics but the site keeps giving me errors.
    Hi Sarah,

Can you tell us more about how you've been trying to upload images, and the errors you've been getting?

Real Name
    Sarah

Hi Geoff i just upload pics under my profile. It allows me to spots to upload at a time and 2 have gone through and the rest was giving a error message.

Real Name
    Sarah

Thxs so much for replying and I would love to upgrade to the IS lens but have not been able to find for under 150$ .... and thank you so much for the links and info. Very much appreciated. Would u know where to find such a great deal ...Also would i upgrade to a 18-55mm IS lens or Would it benefit me to go with something diffrent or should i stay with that mm for learning thxs so much again

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by scornish View Post
    Hi Geoff i just upload pics under my profile. It allows me to spots to upload at a time and 2 have gone through and the rest was giving a error message.
    Hi Sarah,

I'll be Colin today

Have you had a read of this?