Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunday Shoot

Real Name
    Janis

Sunday Shoot

Tonight, I thought I would see what I could do with the tripod and one light source, a little swivel lamp that can be angled to bounce light off the ceiling. These are the best of my results; comments welcome.

I think for this kind of shot, I really need a second light source, but right now I don't have two of the same kind and I have come to be wary of mixing different kinds of light.
    Other than that, I learned that water spots can really mar an image. Sunday Shoot

I should have taken notes on this one, because I no longer remember how I lost the hot spots on the pestle (bouncing, maybe?)
    Sunday Shoot

This one started with an ugly shadow on the inside of the deeper bowl, which I solved by tipping the bowl towards the light. Won't always have that option, I know.
    Sunday Shoot

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Sunday Shoot

Janis, a simple way to bring back detail on the shadow side would be to use a white reflector. Angle it in such a way that the reflected light hits the shadow area and you're good to go.

Real Name
    Janis

A reflector. Of course. Which raises the question of how to improvise one that can be angled. Any ingenious low-budget solutions? Visuals appreciated.

Real Name

Foam core material from an art supply store. Cost here in US is about $3.00. I usually hold it in my right hand then I press the shutter button using my left hand finger.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Foam core material from an art supply store. Cost here in US is about $3.00. I usually hold it in my right hand then I press the shutter button using my left hand finger.
    Gulp. I'm very clumsy with my left hand. How large a piece of foam core should I have? And is there anything else I might find in an art supply store that you think would be useful for photography generally? I already have black cartolina on the list. Thanks, Jiro!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Gulp. I'm very clumsy with my left hand. How large a piece of foam core should I have? And is there anything else I might find in an art supply store that you think would be useful for photography generally? I already have black cartolina on the list. Thanks, Jiro!
    A white cartolina would be fine. Estimate the floor area covered by your subject. If the figurines can fit on a one-sqaure foot space then use a two-square foot reflector. The foam core is the same size as the cartolina so you can either use it in whole or divide it into 2 parts. Anything that is white and can be handheld can be used as a reflector. Usually I estimate the size of the reflector depending on the area of the shadows that I want to illuminate.
    Last edited by jiro; 31st January 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

I hinge tape a couple of thin lathing strips (or a cut up yardstick) to the backs of my reflector cards so I can not rely on my left hand to be less clumsy. I find I can set them up most anywhere...and if not, I hang them from something...carry about two bull clips and a hank of twine.

Real Name

Good suggestion, Chris.

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks to you both. I guess I should have salvaged the lathing that came out of the dining room ceiling last week!