Thread: Heroic and important

Real Name
    Samuel Van Eldik

Heroic and important

An advertising agency has hired you to photograph individual "pack shots" of a range of packet soups.The soups come in small rectangular boxes, which have a glossy finish. They want the pack to look heroic and important.

Which lens lighting and filter should I use ?
    The lens options I have to choose from are 20mm,35mm,50mm,100mm macro,135mm and a 300mm.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Heroic and important

I'm not a commercial photographer but I'd probably go with a 20mm or 35mm lens. The reason is that I want to introduce extreme angle, like an isometric drawing of a box. Shoot from the bottom looking upward. A big softbox on top as the main light and then some kickers on the side. Totally stopped down lens for extreme focus detail. Just a suggestion.

Real Name
    Richard

When I was working in the motion picture industry, we sometimes used a "Dulling Spray" to reduce the glossiness of objects we were filming or which were in a scene we were filming. This spray came in two versions, permanent and removable. I noticed that a removable version of this spray is still available at a pretty inexpensive price.

http://www.filmtools.com/kryldulspray.html

Using this spray on the glossy cereal box, MIGHT JUST make the lighting of these boxes easier.

Caveat: Although the spray is advertised as "REMOVABLE" I would be quite careful spraying it on anything that is valuable or non-replaceable such as artwork. Of course, the cereal boxes would be considered expendable.

was this the correct answer?

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    When I was working in the motion picture industry, we sometimes used a "Dulling Spray" to reduce the glossiness of objects we were filming or which were in a scene we were filming. This spray came in two versions, permanent and removable. I noticed that a removable version of this spray is still available at a pretty inexpensive price.

http://www.filmtools.com/kryldulspray.html

If you are usig studio lighting, you could always go with a circular polarizer as well, though the dulling spray does quite well by itself.
    Using this spray on the glossy cereal box, MIGHT JUST make the lighting of these boxes easier.

Caveat: Although the spray is advertised as "REMOVABLE" I would be quite careful spraying it on anything that is valuable or non-replaceable such as artwork. Of course, the cereal boxes would be considered expendable.