Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ball and Glove...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Ball and Glove...

We had our first very nice weather outside at 70degrees F yesterday. My little kid played outside the house and left the glove and ball on the ground. Thought it'd be nice to use as a subject.

Ball and Glove...

Click here for the bigger image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/willieb...8527/lightbox/

Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, 50mm f1.8D lens, Exposure set at f5.6 at 1/1250 of a second in Manual Mode, ISO 200, Spot Metered using my home-made gray card placed beside the glove, Color and Sharpening processing inside ACDSEE Pro.
    Last edited by jiro; 29th January 2011 at 01:27 PM.

Real Name
    Yegor

Re: Ball and Glove...

Congratulations with the weather! We had one sunny day and once again clouds! I like the photo, but in my opinion, the shadow very black and seems extension of object.
    As if you look in a black hole))) distracts a little.
    But I assume, that it because of size WEB?
    I like details and sharpness and warm colors

Real Name

Thanks, Yegor. You can click the bigger image link for better resolution.

hmmmm. I love the warm light and colors and textures. Like Yegor, the shadow is so deep, here, that I found it distracting a little, too, but, this is really beautiful and nostalgic!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    hmmmm. I love the warm light and colors and textures. Like Yegor, the shadow is so deep, here, that I found it distracting a little, too, but, this is really beautiful and nostalgic!
    Thanks for viewing, Katy. I'll adjust the shadow areas and post the edited image. Thanks for the comments.

Real Name

Yegor and Katy, is this 'better'?

Ball and Glove...

View bigger image here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/willieb...ream/lightbox/

Yes, I think so. (but, what in the world do I know?)

Real Name
    John

I think shadows are great in photos, what you want to do though is try and capture some reflected lights inside so the shadow area isn't so intense. You try to control shadows for indoor still lifes but for an object photographed on a sunny day its expected for us to see the shadow even if it is not that pleasant looking to the eye. It would be great to see the glove and ball on a wet surface, that would add a bit of intensity or longing desire (from the viewpoint of the ballplayer eager to get back on the field) to the photo.

Real Name
    Yegor

a wet surface.....also i was thinking so.....however, u got is what u get.
    All depends on tastes and the point of view. But for a photo of silhouettes - a shadow - huge value! For a such photo - all should be moderately.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I think shadows are great in photos, what you want to do though is try and capture some reflected lights inside so the shadow area isn't so intense. You try to control shadows for indoor still lifes but for an object photographed on a sunny day its expected for us to see the shadow even if it is not that pleasant looking to the eye. It would be great to see the glove and ball on a wet surface, that would add a bit of intensity or longing desire (from the viewpoint of the ballplayer eager to get back on the field) to the photo.
    Thanks, John. Our problem is that the weather is cold (going as low as 12 deg F) but still without any snow. If I put the glove on a wet surface... my kid will kill me. LOL!

Real Name

Yes, I think so. (but, what in the world do I know?)
    You're getting funnier, Katy.

Funny that it's so cold. This light makes it look warm. It looked to me like your son was taking a break or done playing and, hence, the lovely nostalgic feeling that I got. Anyway, toys left out cause tension for me.

oh, just saw this last comment. heehee!

Real Name

Funny that it's so cold. This light makes it look warm. It looked to me like your son was taking a break or done playing and, hence, the lovely nostalgic feeling that I got. Anyway, toys left out cause tension for me.

oh, just saw this last comment. heehee!
    Yup, he did stop playing with the ball and the glove and started making a small dam on the ground. He even took the water hose and put some water in it to make it realistic. Ain't kids very imaginative?
    Last edited by jiro; 29th January 2011 at 08:01 PM.