Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Monitor Calibration eye and software decision

Monitor Calibration eye and software decision

Hi,
    I am about to commit financial hari-kari by investing in a new NEC 27 inch monitor. They also offer a companion photo eye with software (another $300) which will quickly calibrate the monitor and insert corrections in the monitor's LUT. Now I have been told that I can use the eye in my old Spyder 2 with their software to do the same thing. Their software is apparently priced at $100, so if this works I could save $200. But NEC man said "I could try it," which isn't giving me much assurance.

I'd appreciate any information to help me make this decision. The monitor, PA 271-W is supposed to be a real gem, but it is about $1,200, so it would be quite lovely to run the tab up to $1,300 rather than $1,500.
    Thanks,
    Barry

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Monitor Calibration eye and software decision

Hi Barry,

If you have a Spyder II, why not just use that with the software it came with? I can't see any compelling advantage to having corrections loaded directly into the LUT.

Hi Colin,

I've been reading all about these issues, and learned that if you interpose a LookUpTable between the computer and monitor, as the Spyder does, you limit the monitor's ability to reproduce the widest color space. But if you adjust the monitor's LUT you preserve the color space.

The issue for me is not knowing if an eye is an eye, namely, is the Spyder eye the equivalent of the NEC puck. By hooking up the Spyder eye to the NEC software, the correction will in fact be done on the NEC monitor.

Barry

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by bmpress View Post
    I've been reading all about these issues, and learned that if you interpose a LookUpTable between the computer and monitor, as the Spyder does, you limit the monitor's ability to reproduce the widest color space. But if you adjust the monitor's LUT you preserve the color space.
    Hi Barry,

It does in theory, but in practice you won't notice the difference. Bit like UV filters ...

Very interesting, Colin. I think that I will just order the monitor and first try my old Syder 2.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by bmpress View Post
    Very interesting, Colin. I think that I will just order the monitor and first try my old Syder 2.
    That would be my suggestion too.

Real Name
    Robin

The other option is to download a profile from the net that someone else has created through their NEC equipment.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    The other option is to download a profile from the net that someone else has created through their NEC equipment.
    Unless one could be sure that the brightness, contrast, and backlighting (and colour temp adjustments, if present) were the same between the monitors then - unfortunately - someone elses profile would be a "lottery".

Real Name
    Robin

No, if you buy a new monitor then the factory setting will be the same as every other new monitor of the same type so anyone with the same new monitor who has ran a profile device then posted the profile will have the same results as you would get.

Real Name

No, if you buy a new monitor then the factory setting will be the same as every other new monitor of the same type so anyone with the same new monitor who has ran a profile device then posted the profile will have the same results as you would get.
    (a) If that were the case then the manufacturer could just build the same profile into the LUT in the first place (which is in essence what they've done by default anyway), (b) as soon as someone so much as touches an adjustment control then the profile would be "null and void", (c) it still isn't going to compensate for variations in video card output, and (d) the OP already has a device perfectly capable of compensating for all of the above.

Real Name
    Robin

You're right but it is a very, very popular way of doing it - Google it.

Real Name

You're right but it is a very, very popular way of doing it - Google it.
    Unfortunately, being "popular" doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to work; "HDR" from a single exposure is a good example of that.

If someone wanted to get a brand new monitor - produce a profile before touching any of the settings - publish it - then have someone else buy the same monitor - download the profile - and settle for using it without changing any of the defaults - and fingers crossed that there weren't any differences in video cards - then there could possibly be a small benefit to using it, but honestly, I still think there are so many variables that personally, I'd have little confidence in the results.

Real Name
    Richard

I still use an older Huey Pro to calibrate my monitors. It works great on my main NEC Multisync monitor which I have in front of my computer in the landscape position. However, my older Dell monitor which I use in the portrait position never seems to get calibrated to my likes. I strongly suspect that this is because the monitor is just too old to work well. I plan on upgrading the dell i the near future and am perusing the sale ads from electronics stores.

I was quite happy to find out just how easy it has been to use the Huey Pro to calibrate my main monitor and it seems like it does a very adequate job...

Hi RP,
    Getting accurate color matching has been a struggle for me even having a Spyder2 to calibrate my LCD, and that's why I decided to get the NEC. At Colin's suggestion I am going to get the plain monitor and try the Spyder, but I suspect it will not do the trick.

BTW our bio's are somewhat parallel. I have been into photography about 50 years too, and, like you, I have a wife named Judy, married for 50 years....and Tamale Molly is our chihuahua.