Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The time for fitness or photos

The time for fitness or photos

My first attempt at street photography - which was more for the sunrise. What would you do?
    The time for fitness or photos

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The time for fitness or photos

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Darlow View Post
    My first attempt at street photography - which was more for the sunrise. What would you do?
    Diane

I think that you have stated yourself what the difficulty is for this one. Is it aiming to be a street scene, or a sunset image? I think it's got caught half-way between the two and doesn't quite hit the button on either. The 'street' part of it is too underexposed for us to focus our attention on that. And the sunset part of it is not dominant enough in the image to convince us that that is what the image is about.

So, I think the learning opportunity from this is to realise that we need to really decide what it is we're shooting, before we hit the button. Otherwise we get left with this sense of maybe this/maybe that.

Do you think what I'm saying makes any sense?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Diane,

I like the composition, for 'street', a bit more foreground might have helped, possibly from shooting a foot or two lower, but I'm sure a lot more could be made from the RAW of this in PP regardless.

This might be purely a personally held misconception; but "street" to me, really means pictures of people (on the street) going about their daily lives - i.e. with far more human interest (in a street setting). Arguably pictures of streets is 'urban', 'landscape', or even 'architectural' if enough buildings are in shot. Sorry, we're not really discussing semantics.

As Donald says, this is betwixt and between at the moment; part landscape, part skyscape (because horizon is about halfway up).

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Diane
    the chaps have given you some excellent feedback - so all I can say in response to your title is that I have gained 5kgs in the last year when I focused on photography and not exercise ....

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    ~ so all I can say in response to your title is that I have gained 5kgs in the last year when I focused on photography and not exercise ....
    Yeah, I know that one too (did that last year), go somewhere that requires a 15-20 min trek to get to it, or park before you get there

But you really didn't need me to say that, did you

Real Name
    Mark

To me this is more of a landscape/sunset image. You need something in the foreground like a bench or a rail to drag us into the photo and out to the pier. Personally I would have more sky with the horizon at the bottom 1/3. A neutral gradient filter would help to balance the exposures of the foreground and the sky. All IMHO of course.