Thread: D7000 users - how do you like it?

Real Name
    Peter

D7000 users - how do you like it?

I am starting this thread because I moved from a D90 to a D7000 in December and so far I am pretty pleased with the D7000's performance. But...there have been lots of complaints (real or not - see Thom Hogan on this) as well. Hot pixels, back focusing.
    Being the amateur that I am I tried a lot of lenses to see how focus was. Did it back focus?
    Yes, it seemed so, or did I leave VR on while on the tripod (I did).

In the end I couldn't really fault the D7000 (focus looks fine, but different lenses get slightly different results) and by now I am really enjoying the camera. Good ISO performance, even at 6400, very flexible menu options and a lot of improvements over the D90 I used previously.
    In fact the D7000 cost me a lot of extra money, as it motivated me to get new lenses as well, to try out different possibilities.
    For me this is a great new 'toy' so far.

Would like to hear from other users what their experiences have been so far.

D7000 users - how do you like it?

I love the idea of the double card slot. Great improvement. I use the second card as backup, so one of my big worries that I always had going on holiday has disappeared it seems.

Real Name
    John

Re: D7000 users - how do you like it?

I am not a D7000 owner, but I am familiar with the Nikon brand and what you want to do is (I see you have the lenses you owned listed) find out at what setting your lenses performs well. There are a few online and hardcopy magazines that run these tests, the one I am familiar with is conducted by Popular Photography.

I have a D7000 as my back up camera.

I have been playing with it recently and i like the info feature where you can get the back screen to give you everything you need. I could do with that on my D3.

I also like the fact it has flash command mode and can trigger a SB900 without out any extra kit.

I use my FX ( 35mm format. but i guess you know that) lenses mostly - which seem fine.

Nice little camera. I nearly bought a D700 - so it would be interesting to see if anyone has both D700 and D7000 and can compare.

Real Name
    Chris

A colleague and I got ours about a week apart and hers seems to have some of the earlier dust issues I was having prior to setting it up for automatic sensor clean. I got the kit lens and she got the body and is using some Sigma lenses which I am guessing are earlier versions since she cannot seem to get a decent focus at f/4.5. I've read some of the other threads on here regarding how much the Sigma lenses have improved but I am not yet convinced.
    I find my kit lens a tad soft in extended DoF's but I don't shoot a whole lot in the higher numbers and thus far hasn't been terribly disappointing.
    Still learning about all its nuances and buttons but on the whole, I am glad I got it.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I have my D5000 set to do the sensor shake everytime I switch it on or off and so far ....

But I am also careful how and where I change lenses - holding the body lens side down and having the new lens ready to go on instantly - I aim to have the lens throat exposed for no more than 2-3 seconds per change.

I'm not saying this applies to anyone here (or their sister), but I have seen people take a a lens off, peer inside, put the body down face up while they rummage in the bag for the next lens, etc., all done outdoors on a breezy day

Real Name
    Amol Sandil

Hi,
    I am pleased with my nikon d7000 too. I also started on it more or less at the same time-in Dcember. So far great for landscapes, portraits, birds and generaly. I am using only two lenses right now . Kit Lens 18-105 VR and 35 mm F 1.8G. Happy with both of them.

No problems with back focusing or in low low lights. In very bright sunlight I needed a 1 or 2 stem EV correction on the kit lens.

I am looking forward to acquring 50mm 1.4 G .

Hows the 85 mm 1.4? or say 105mm macro.

Do write.

Amolsan

Real Name
    Jim

I went from D5000 to D90 to D7000 - nice ride. The D7000 is certainly more sopisticated and competent . BUT - the focusing issues drove me nuts. With two Tamron and two Nikon lenses I could not get crisp results consistently. Back focusing was certainly an issue, more so with the Tamrons. So in utter frustration i sent everything back to manufacturers for service.
    Surprise!
    The camera was out of adjustment and one Nikon lens motor was bad. One tamron lens had a bad aperture control mechanism and the other was not focusing properly on the D7000.
    All was repaired promptly and under warranty. All lenses are now balanced to the D7000. I'll report findings next week when gear is returned. The lesson is to not endure difficulties forever. There may really be an easy solution.

Real Name
    Keith

I have the D7000 and I absolutely love it.
    It feels lke a real camera and the iso settings are awesome it really makes a difference when shooting in low light.

Real Name
    Chris

I am afraid I am going to have to send mine in as well. I've had a horrid issue with sensor dust and it gets worse instead of better. I also think somethig is slightly out of alignment with the kit lens as it is never as sharp as it should be, especially mid range 7.1 to 16/22 or thereabouts. My old Nikkor 50mm 1.8 is much much better.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I am afraid I am going to have to send mine in as well. I've had a horrid issue with sensor dust and it gets worse instead of better. I also think somethig is slightly out of alignment with the kit lens as it is never as sharp as it should be, especially mid range 7.1 to 16/22 or thereabouts. My old Nikkor 50mm 1.8 is much much better.
    I am curious about your dust problem. I suppose you could have had this with any camera or are you saying that it is D7000 related?
    On the lenses, it seems to be related to specific lenses is my feeling. Which is annoying. I hope you can solve the problem with your kit lens. Funny though that your 50mm is so much better. I have the feeling (from limited experience) that the D7000 with 105mm VR gives very sharp results as well.

Real Name
    Chris

I've had this one chunk on the sensor since I got it and nothing makes it go away. Sometimes it changes location, and on rare occasions after two or three successive sensor cleanings, it is gone for a short series, but change the lens out and poof, it's back. I've never experienced this kind of problem on any camera.
    As per the lens, tripod or handheld, it's never given me that clear, sharp crispness I get with this old 50mm, at any f/stop. I've got a return authorization so it's going back sometime this week. I'll FEDEX it so I shouldn't be without it for too awful long...arrrggghhh.
    Oh, anyone wants to know the best ways to remove specks from a picture, I'm your man...