Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Walk in the woods

Real Name
    Debbie

Walk in the woods

Took a day off from work, put on the snowshoes and took a walk.
    C&C welcome

Milkweed

Walk in the woods

Winding Trail Tall Trees

Its my first "Winding Path" photo, kinda seems like a right of passage as a photographer, this is my take this ten minutes. I'm sure the theme will show up again.

Walk in the woods

...adding one more. This image has a -50 clarity value and no sharpening. I really like the softened effect.

Tree

Walk in the woods
    Last edited by djg05478; 26th January 2011 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Added one more

Real Name
    Tim

Re: Walk in the woods

Both sweet.

Real Name
    Mike

Looks good, I like the second one.
    I miss those walks in the snow.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Both are really nice, Debbie. Good shots.

Real Name
    Chris

Agreeing with everyone on the composition and imagery...and I want to praise you for getting out on snowshoes....now, that is an accomplishment in of itself!

Real Name
    Yegor

The last one u MUST convert to B'n'W!!!

Hi, Debbie!

(Warning! I've written a novel!)

I've been enjoying having you around and your contributions. The things that you take photos of are things that I love in Vermont, too. It's nice to see someone else who sees it. (You, Wendy and I!) They're lovely photos, too.

I have a few thoughts.

#1 My sister is always "calling" me on the X marks the spot thing. In other words, an "x" in the very middle of a photo doesn't have a lot of excitement to it. Sometimes, I argue with her about it; so, this is just a thought. Anyway, the idea is, that if it's an "X" marks the spot, then, there needs to be something else that is exciting about it. I like how this is a photo of milkweed in the snow. This is a fresh (to me) interpretation. I think that I wish that it was popping out of the picture more, though, and I wish that the falling snow was even more noticeable. I'm just brainstorming, okay?

There are a lot of photos of milkweed - it's so beautiful. The trick, I think, is seeing it in a different light that will catch the viewers attention. In one of my favorite British magazines, a couple of months ago, they had the most gorgeously illuminated "weeds". I couldn't stop staring at them and bought the magazine for them alone. (I think that it was the UK version of "Country Living".) Anyway, the light captured in them was amazing - glowing evening. Another idea - maybe, you could go more macro and just get an interesting composition out of the textures of the weed. Maybe, you could pan out a little more and show the weed as it sits in the meadow. I'm just thinking about it these days, too. We have to keep our eyes open for the extraordinary moment, no?

#2 It's lovely - the moodiness of the trees is wonderful but I wonder if there's some way to explore it further. Again, the path disappears right down the middle. The composition is a little square. Did you try moving to the left and right of the path? Also, I'm thinking, that paths with a (downhill) slope to them help add a little bit of shape to the line of the path that can, when you flatten this into 2D, fill up more of the frame - the composition - so that the photo is even MORE about the path.That's what I did with this:

I took this first, kind of from the middle of the road. That's where the line leads, too, right to the center of the frame. (SOOC)

Walk in the woods

Then, I moved to the left, then, the right. I wanted to exaggerate the gorgeous curve of the road and I wanted the line to lead up into the upper right third. (I'm not too happy with the colors, though.)

Walk in the woods

You don't HAVE to do something like this. This photo is ALL about the road; so, I filled the frame with it. I'm just brainstorming.

Well, I'm not the only one who says this kind of thing. Donald, just "called" me on this very sort of thing on my other "grungy roadside" photos. He said basically, "not enough road."

You could do something like that or you could have some lovely light slanting through the trees - or fog. Hmmmm, I'm remembering Wendy's beautiful foggy path, HERE, from this past fall. Aren't we all stretching and going for something more?

Anyway, HERE is a thread from when I first came to CiC - it has some really great advice in it - helpful to think about with roads and paths.

The added tree:

Oooo! Well spotted! What a fun thing to photograph. Once again, it's just dead center - which can be fine, I guess, but it's just awfully square. I wonder if you can get the three on a third or, well, something more exciting. OR, maybe, make this a vertical shot, showing the height of the tree. I guess, what I'm trying to encourage you to do is work on different angles and to really think about what you're shooting and how it fits into the whole story within the four lines of your photo. Is this a photo of a tree standing alone in a field? Tell more of a story with it. I don't know. Hope I'm not waffling. I'm just glad that you're here, Debbie, and want to encourage you and spur you on - feel free to do the same with me.

SO! In conclusion.... what in the world do I know? Not that much, yet! I'm just thinking out loud. These are things that I'm working on. Maybe, it will spur more thoughts for you. ....Oh, my goodness! I just wrote a novel! sorry!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 26th January 2011 at 03:37 PM.

Real Name
    Vidyadharan

really good and attractive shots

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks for all the comments folks - much appreciated