Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gripped 50D trade for a 10/10 condition 1D mark II?

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

Gripped 50D trade for a 10/10 condition 1D mark II?

This would be a straight up trade with the 1D II having a dual battery charger and 2 new batteries and my 50D being gripped with 1 canon and 1 3rd party battery. Would this trade be worth it realistically? My gripped 50D has just under 9K shutter count (1D MK II has under 30K) Would the trade be worth it for the mer fact of the 1D II being a Pro body? I know technology wise the 50D is newer but the 1D II is a weather sealed tank of a camera. The thing that I'm hung up on is going from 15.1mp (4752 x 3168 image) to a 8.2mp (3504 x 2336 image size) Would you do it?

Real Name
    Troy

Re: Gripped 50D trade for a 10/10 condition 1D mark II?

According to dxomark data, the sensor quality (disregarding resolution) of each of these cameras is just about equal. Unless you print posters, I think you may actually benefit from the lower resolution since it hogs less hard drive space and easier on photoshop. Just to put things into perspective, 8mp is more than enough to print magazine covers at standard magazine cover printing DPI (300). Seriously, check out a magazine cover; 8mp is damn good

As for your benefiting from the 1.3 crop factor, it really depends on your "bag full of glass" In the general case you would be able to attain a shallower depth of field, assuming aperture is fixed and focal length increased to achieve the same field of view.

For how much are you selling your 50d+grip, and how much do you plan on paying for a 1d II ?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    For how much are you selling your 50d+grip, and how much do you plan on paying for a 1d II ?
    I think he said 'This would be a straight up trade', presumably that means a straight swap with a dealer?

Real Name
    Troy

Sorry, maybe I should have taken a closer look at your webpage. I tend to assume everybody shoots like me - I could care less about resolution or strobes but care dearly about things like high ISOs and weather sealing.

Since your prints go up to 30x40 I'm leaning towards the 50d. However, this discussion is veering away from what I'm knowledgeable about, so I may sit this one out and learn/observe the canonians in action

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Just a couple of thoughts ...

1. I shoot with a 1Ds3; full weather sealing is comforting to know, but will you be shooting anything that requires this?

2. People often go a bit overboard with print resolutions; the rule-of-thumb I use is 180dpi, which for the 1D2 would give you a 19.47 x 12.98 inches, whereas with the 50D you'd get 26.40 x 17.60. Not a lot larger because people forget that it's a square-law function (ie to be able to print twice as wide and twice as high - at the same resolution - you need a camera with 4 times as many pixels).

In terms of the two cameras, possibly a toss of a coin; the 5d2 is getting a little long in the tooth now (5 1/2 years old), but then again, the 50D is now 2 1/2 years old. On one hand the 1D2 has superior metering and AF, but on the downside, it's also Digic II -v- Digic IV, so 2 generations difference there.

Would it be an option to trade in the 50D for a 1D3, plus some cash? 1D3's are going pretty cheap, and are an awesome camera (I used to have one).

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

To be honest, the weather sealing might come in handy as I might be shooting Pop Warner football in the near future. This would be a straight up trade, one for the other, but the resolution and print size would be a factor the more I think about it since I shoot mostly for print. I have had others tell me for my shooting style and type to save up and go full frame if I can find a goood deal on a 1Ds mark II.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

I'm hoping to sell my bike this spring so maybe I'll treat myself a 1Ds MK III and just keep the 50D. The guy wound up selling it to a friend since his camera broke.

Real Name
    Chris

Keep in mind the 5D mkiii could be right around the corner. With all the rumors fling around it might be one heck of a camera.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by hoffstriker View Post
    Keep in mind the 5D mkiii could be right around the corner.
    And it could be 4 years away also!

Real Name
    Troy

Hold on, I'm confused. This thread started out with a 1DII then there was mention of a 1DsII and now we're on 1DsIII ? How did we make such a large price jump!

From what I could tell, you have various full-frame lenses including the sigma 50-500 and 50 1.8, but the widest I could find was an APS-C 18-55 kit lens. Is this of concern?

rob marshall

Rob

Do you wish to improve your photography, or do you just want a Pro camera?

I have taken a very close look at your Smug, and to my reasonably experienced eye, a higher level camera would make no difference at all. If you disagree, perhaps you could explain your reasoning?

Would, for example, this shot be improved by having a Pro camera? How would it be improved? http://www.robdouglasphotography.com...07720006_miYfW
    Last edited by rob marshall; 26th January 2011 at 08:58 AM.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

I would definitely say I would like to improve Rob. The price jump would only be possible if I was to sell my bike, which my wife so desperately want me to do. The 18-55 is not a concern since I have a 16-35mm f/2.8L and a 28mm f/1.8. I will most likely be shooting Pop Warner foot ball this coming season so I'm thinking a MK IV (or a MK III to save money) would be the way to go for the faster fps. I wanted to go full frame for the ability to make larger prints but I think it would be wise to go it a III or IV since that will be making me money.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Douglas View Post
    I wanted to go full frame for the ability to make larger prints but I think it would be wise to go it a III or IV since that will be making me money.
    Rob

The ID cameras are not full-frame (although the sensor size is 36x24mm). They have a focal length multiplier of x1.3. The 50D is x1.6. If you want full-frame you need the 5D.

It's not the full-frame that makes larger prints, it's the MP rating which determines the resolution. The 1D Mk2 is 3504x2336 pixels. The 50D is 4752x3168 pixels. Given the same field of view (by using a different focal length on the lens) you would get the same image, but the 50D would print better on resolution - although there might be some slight difference on pixel quality between the two cameras as the pixel density is greater on the 50D (smaller pixels).

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

Earlier post I mentioned the 1Ds II or III but that wouldn't work for me if I do the football action shots. That's why I thought the 1D III or IV would be better suited. I might just see how the 50D works out this season and go from there. Just not sure if the 6.3fps on the 50D will cut it. I know the 10fps of the 1D IV sure would.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Rob

The ID cameras are not full-frame (although the sensor size is 36x24mm). They have a focal length multiplier of x1.3. The 50D is x1.6. If you want full-frame you need the 5D.
    Not quite Rob,

The 1D3 has the 1.3 crop-factor, but the sensor size is 28.1mm x 18.7mm. The 1Ds3 is full frame.

Real Name

Earlier post I mentioned the 1Ds II or III but that wouldn't work for me if I do the football action shots. That's why I thought the 1D III or IV would be better suited. I might just see how the 50D works out this season and go from there. Just not sure if the 6.3fps on the 50D will cut it. I know the 10fps of the 1D IV sure would.
    Hi Rob,

I've used to own a 1D3, and now shoot with a 1Ds3, so I can tell you a lot about both if you need to know anything. In terms of shooting speed, the 1Ds3 is definately slow. What a lot of people don't realise though is that the 1Ds3 out-resolves the 1D3 by around 30%. ie if you put a 200mm lens on both cameras - take a shot with the 1D3 it will of course be a 10MP capture, but if you take a shot with a 1Ds3 and then crop it to the same field of view, you'll have a 13MP capture.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

Thanks Colin, if I get the Pop Warner gig for this season I'll probably go with a 1D III or IV. I'd love to go with a 1Ds III but no good for the football action shots. I'll pick your brain when I get a definite Answer on the Pop Warner gig.

Real Name

Thanks Colin, if I get the Pop Warner gig for this season I'll probably go with a 1D III or IV. I'd love to go with a 1Ds III but no good for the football action shots. I'll pick your brain when I get a definite Answer on the Pop Warner gig.
    No worries. Have you thought of the 7D at all? Better reach, pretty fast, and a lot less $$$ than a 1D4.