Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Red Duchess Edit

Real Name
    Pat

Red Duchess Edit

This shot was hastily taken during last October's PAD, I done some tweaking with it today in elements and would be most appreciative of your C&C, I'm not sure if the hazy look works,maybe the shot is just bad from day one or my edit is to flat.
    Best Wishes Pat.

Red Duchess Edit

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Red Duchess Edit

Was it really hazy when you took the shot or the hazy effect is the one you want it to be? Just curious.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi jiro
    Yes it was fairly hazy and I wanted to keep as natural as possible to see if it would be worth a print.
    Best Wishes Pat.

Real Name

If you'll introduce some small amount of sharpening I think your image would be fine. If you are also handy with using masks inside photoshop I'd probably masked the sky and tone it down a little bit to create contrast. You have a good subject, all you need is a little help on the post-processing to make it work better. Good luck!

Real Name
    Pat

Thank you jiro,I see what you mean by creating a bit of contrast in the sky,will certainly give it a try.
    Best Wishes Pat.

Real Name

Pat, hope you don't mind, I tried tweaking your image using ACDSEE pro without the use of masking and this is what I got.

Red Duchess Edit

Basically, some adjustment on the contrast, lowered the highlight value, then adjusted the brightness levels of each color. Your image is nice, if I may say.
    Last edited by jiro; 24th January 2011 at 09:49 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

I also played with some layer adjustments but I used an overlay adjustment which strengthened the overall image, but I like Jiro's treatment of the sky and clouds more than mine...somewhere in the middle, on the original image you have a good image - you have a good image anyway...and what Jiro and I have done is only change it to another vision. Nice shot.

Red Duchess Edit

Real Name
    Pat

Played a bit myself with layer adjustments but could'nt get it right and will have another go. Here is the version I posted in October and I can't seem to replicate it, however I was'nt overly happy with it.

Red Duchess Edit

Real Name
    Chris

I went back in and twiddle with some burning and dodging, I think as much just to see how far it was possible for you to go with the original image...me thinks you could really work this into a superbly finished piece.

Red Duchess Edit

Real Name
    Pat

Thank you very much jiro and Chris for your help and comments.
    I'm getting a bit boged down with PP and can't seem to get the sky right,. I would be most grateful for any tips and advice from members. The editing software I am using is Photoshop Elements 7.
    Many Thanks and Best Wishes
    Pat.