Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Goodbye, and thanks for everything :(

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Goodbye, and thanks for everything :(

Sad day today, as I had to say goodbye to one of my trusty UV Filters.

I removed my 70-200/2.8L II from it's case, and noticed a funny sound, and upon closer inspection (once I'd carefully removed the lens cap), I found this ...

Of course nobody around the house knows anything about dropping it, but it was fine a few days ago - I sure as heck didn't drop it - and nobody else would have had it out of the padded case. So I hate to think how a lens - in it's manufacturer designed padded case - with a lens cap on - gets to break an attached UV filter!

Luckily, lens appears to be OK.

To everyone who doesn't believe in UV filters for lens protection, now might be a good time to think again!

Real Name
    neil

Re: Goodbye, and thanks for everything :(

maybe you can get it repaired

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Sad day today, as I had to say goodbye to one of my trusty UV Filters.

I removed my 70-200/2.8L II from it's case, and noticed a funny sound, and upon closer inspection (once I'd carefully removed the lens cap), I found this ...

Of course nobody around the house knows anything about dropping it, but it was fine a few days ago - I sure as heck didn't drop it - and nobody else would have had it out of the padded case. So I hate to think how a lens - in it's manufacturer designed padded case - with a lens cap on - gets to break an attached UV filter!

Luckily, lens appears to be OK.

To everyone who doesn't believe in UV filters for lens protection, now might be a good time to think again!
    If you've ruled out human involvement I'd look towards natural causes like weather changes or pressure changes and try to avoid the same conditions.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    If you've ruled out human involvement I'd look towards natural causes like weather changes or pressure changes and try to avoid the same conditions.
    Hi John,

To be honest, it's a big "question mark". I last used the lens last Wednesday, and it was fine - hasn't been out of the case - and on Sunday the filter isn't just cracked, but totally shattered (as you see). Also, the lens cap was difficult to remove, so all I can think of is "dropped", but to be honest, even that's hard to do (to damage it like that when it's in it's padded case). So I really don't know.

Obviously I'm not "thrilled" about it though; thank goodness the lens is OK (it's only just been replaced after the last one was faulty!)

Real Name
    Pops

Cross-threading can put a strain on the glass. That combined with temperature changes can cause such. The most common temperature change is from very hot to very cold, but it is the sudden change which does it. A sudden change from very cold to very warm will do it, also. I've seen that in Alaska, where it was about 250 miles to the nearest camera supply shop and before internet ordering.

Pops

Real Name

Great theory Pops, but no - not cross threaded, and no sudden temp change

Real Name
    Pops

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Great theory Pops, but no - not cross threaded, and no sudden temp change
    Actually, I had assumed that, in your particular case, but thought I'd mention it any way. Are you sure SO didn't bash you over the head as your were sleeping? Maybe that headache wasn't Emersons.

Pops

Real Name
    Richard

Did you happen to shoot a particularly ugly person before you put the lens away. This might have been a delayed action. Contrary to popular belief, all brides are not beautiful. I have shot a couple of brides who could have caused this damage. Lucky I cleaned the filter before putting it away...

Real Name

Hmmm ...

Thinking about this some more, the ONLY theory I have is that when I took the lens with me during a walk around the airfield with the family during the weekend, it wasn't mounted on the camera (it was in it's own bag), and after a while I put it on top of the camera bag, which inturn was strung over my shoulder. At some point it fell off and started heading towards mother earth at what seemed like terminal velocity - but - the carry strap was still 1/2 being held on to, so although it didn't hit the ground (which is why I've thought no more of that incident), it did "pull a few G's", and I'm guessing that the sudden jerk has caused the lens cap to get pushed into the filter, which has inturn broken.

Add to this the fact that the lens cap was a little difficult to remove adds a bit more weight to the theory.

Best theory I have at this stage anyway!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    Are you sure SO didn't bash you over the head as your were sleeping? Maybe that headache wasn't Emersons.
    No - I bought her a new 50" TV for Christmas, so I should be in the good books for a few more weeks yet!

Real Name
    Doug

Bummer. I hate when good filters mysteriously explode.

Real Name
    Mark

The phantom strikes again.

We always had similar problems at work with silly things going wrong and lots of little things breaking. My business partner at the time kept on blaming the "phantom". He left about 18 months ago and guess what. The phantom left at about the same time. Funny thing that!

PS he does a little caravaning now Colin. I'll ask him if he was in Nelson last week.