Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hardware

Real Name
    Debbie

Hardware

Hardware

35mm f/16 0.6s

Looking for some C&C on this one if anyone has any thoughts.

1-I'm trying to stretch my imagination and take pictures of things other than my dogs "There's nothing to photograph" is a lame excuse; I'm trying not to be lame.

2-I like the doorknob hardware, the rich red color of the door, the darkness on the other side....but I'm not sure of the strength of the composition.

Debbie

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Hardware

I did one similar to this a few weeks back and while we both captured the essence of the wood tone and brass, what I feel I didn't capture and you missed as well is the lack of emotional connection. I don't get any feeling that I want, or better yet, need to look beyond the hardware. I think if the viewer could see a little deeper into the shadow and see 'something" like the tip of a shoe or a partially lit hand reaching for the knob, there would be something "uneasy" about it and make you want to have that emotional contact....like fear... or anticipation.

Real Name
    Peter

Perhaps add a few smears of tomato ketchup to the handle.

Or a dusting of flour. Or hang a tiara, or a child's toy on the handle to give an indication of the room's use.

Cobwebs?

Peter.
    Last edited by MixedHerbs; 23rd January 2011 at 04:37 AM.

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by MixedHerbs View Post
    Perhaps add a few smears of tomato ketchup to the handle.

Or a dusting of flour. Or hang a tiara, or a child's toy on the handle to give an indication of the room's use.

Cobwebs?

Peter.
    Or perhaps an article of lingerie? (Ah, those college days, lol)

Seems to me the shot would have move impact if the doorjamb were in the frame, so we could tell the door is slightly open... leading the viewer to wonder what's inside. It's ok that the other side is completely dark, we just need some reason to wonder about the darkness.

Real Name
    Debbie

Thanks everyone for your interesting comments and insights. Ironically enough this has clearly turned out to be the door to imagination, just slighty ajar

Debbie

Real Name
    Yegor

Here I agree with Chris. And some more instants in occasion of a shot. As it not a spontaneous picture, and prepared, it is necessary to pay attention to trifles. For example the key should be a little turned, that it could see completely.

Another door to nowhere (Here really it is necessary to add hands with ketchup)))))):

Hardware
    Last edited by Skitalez; 23rd January 2011 at 07:41 PM.