Thread: New Photographer gets Nikon D7000 with Tamron 18/270 for Christmas

Real Name
    Gerald Polachak

New Photographer gets Nikon D7000 with Tamron 18/270 for Christmas

Kid and cake
    Last edited by Njbowman; 21st January 2011 at 08:13 PM.

Real Name
    Gerald Polachak

Re: i a new photographer-i got a nion d7000 with tamron 18/270 for christmas

thanks for the help
    i think i got it now
    Last edited by Njbowman; 21st January 2011 at 08:14 PM.

Real Name
    Gerald Polachak

Hi Gerald,
    It seems you have given us your computer's address and not the url. The easiest way that I have found to post (for a beginner like me) is to click on "Click here to upload photos from your computer" Then "browse" for your photo at the address that you gave. Upload using a smallish size rather than default. I use the 15". THEN look under your uploaded mini pic. You will see an url. Click on this and copy to the thread text space (where you would write). Press preview to check. It will show if you did it right. THEN (only needed if you are entering competitions - click on the "go advanced" button. It gives you a preview and gives you a chance to write in your title.) Those who are really good at photoshopping and at compressing differently have better ways of reducing size but for now perhaps you and I can be happy to just get the pic to show!!! Look forward to seeing your post.

Real Name
    Gerald Polachak

Thanks for the help

Real Name
    Brian

I like the composition, though I would like to see a brighter exposure. Congratulations on your Christmas present! Take lots of pictures

Real Name
    Gerald Polachak

Can that be done in Photoshop?
    Thanks for the help

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: I am a new photographer - I got a Nikon D7000 with Tamron 18/270 for christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Njbowman View Post
    Can that be done in Photoshop?
    Thanks for the help
    Hi Gerald,

When replying like this, if you use "Reply with Quote" (bottom right of the appropriate post) instead of just Reply or Reply to Thread button, it makes it easier to answer follow up questions.

If the question was about Brian's "I like the composition, though I would like to see a brighter exposure." then the answer is; Yes (because almost anything can be done in Photoshop)

Here's a question for you - are you shooting RAW with your D7000?
    You really need to be, to make the highest image quality results.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Gerald Polachak

Re: I am a new photographer - I got a Nikon D7000 with Tamron 18/270 for christmas

Yes I am shooting in Raw and JPEG. My d7000 will save as two image at once. For this site I had to lower the quality to post. Am I doing something wrong when posting?
    gerald

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Gerald,

When replying like this, if you use "Reply with Quote" (bottom right of the appropriate post) instead of just Reply or Reply to Thread button, it makes it easier to answer follow up questions.

If the question was about Brian's "I like the composition, though I would like to see a brighter exposure." then the answer is; Yes (because almost anything can be done in Photoshop)

Here's a question for you - are you shooting RAW with your D7000?
    You really need to be, to make the highest image quality results.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Njbowman View Post
    Yes I am shooting in Raw and JPEG. My d7000 will save as two image at once. For this site I had to lower the quality to post. Am I doing something wrong when posting?
    gerald
    Hi Gerald,

For an online image, what you ought to do is;
    a) resize the image smaller first (not reduce quality), say to 700 pixels on longest dimension*,
    b) then sharpen it,
    c) then save it with a jpg quality of 9 (of 12), or 75%

There are fuller instructions here:
    Problems with image quality?

After editing the RAW and progressing to PS, make sure you also save a fullsize, unsharpened version (as 16 bit Tif or PSD) with a different filename, i.e. do it just before a) above.

* TinyPic will actually accept upto 1600 pixels on longest dimension, but I wouldn't suggest going to more than 1000 in height, as it won't fit on people's screens.
    Also, don't get sidetracked by irrelevant dpi settings, just set the units to pixels (not inches or cm) down size to what you want and ignore what it says in dpi.

I could bore for Britain on what causes images to get degraded when viewed online, so much is beyond prediction, (e.g. there are automatic resizings going on when you're not looking) and so much depends on things that seem inocuous to many, yet they all have an effect.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 23rd January 2011 at 12:08 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

I find that I USUALLY bump up the contrast and saturation on most of the pics I take, just one tick on the DPP software, not sure how yours works. I think a little more contrast will help the second pic you posted,might even take some of the red out of her eyes that I see.