Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1854, 1898, 2011 - how the years roll by.

rob marshall

1854, 1898, 2011 - how the years roll by.

Taken today in St Mary's churchyard, Laugharne, West Wales. Dylan Thomas is buried here, but I never seem to be able to find his grave.

All shot with Canon 5D and 24-105mm.

Real Name
    Raylee

Re: 1854, 1898, 2011 - how the years roll by.

I like cemetery photos. These are great.

Now that I've stroked your ego , for the technical questions:

1. What time of day were these taken?
    2. Have you used flash on shots 1 & 2? The light appears very even compared with the dappled light in 3 (which I really like).

Thanks

R

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Rob, your 3rd image is just simply... stunning. A very nice work, indeed. Cheers!

Real Name
    Pete

beautiful, poignant, moving and evocative. They died young...

Real Name
    Peter

Great set and I am with Willie on the last one - just fantastic.

It's so curious that you put this here because, I looked Dylan Thomas up, just this very day. I've always wanted to know more about him. More to the point, I wish that I knew more of his poems. I love "A Child's Christmas in Wales!" I always take a break, while the turkey is baking on Christmas Day, to watch the short movie of it with Denholm Elliot. Also, this makes me think, "do not go gentle into that good night." You two wouldn't be related would you?

I'm still worried about you watching too many murder mysteries.
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 21st January 2011 at 02:29 AM.

Real Name
    Kay

tractors for some - graveyards for others..... then someone had to go and mention kitchens

#3 is I agree very special - all the more so because of the image the title and yet no actual mourners in picture.....which makes it very powerful indeed.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    1. What time of day were these taken?
    2. Have you used flash on shots 1 & 2? The light appears very even compared with the dappled light in 3 (which I really like).
    They were shot at about 15:00, and it was very bright light (high pressure today). But, the churchyard is very shady, so none of them were in direct sunlight - more dappled shade.

No, I didn't use flash. I used spot metering for 1 & 2. That gave a good exposure for the headstone and threw the background into darkness, which is what I wanted to get a more moody look. Have to admit the 5D (Mk1) take a nice shot, especially with the colours.

Here is another one from the same set

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    It's so curious that you put this here because, I looked Dylan Thomas up, just this very day. I've always wanted to know more about him.
    Here is a shot I did some time ago of his writing shed at the boathouse (nextdoor). It doesn't look so good on screen, but looks very nice printed. The shed has just been 'restored'.

And this one is of the boathouse. I live just over that hill on the other side of the water. Nice spot!

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    #3 is I agree very special - all the more so because of the image the title and yet no actual mourners in picture.....which makes it very powerful indeed.
    Oooo, Rob! Kay is right - it's one of those 'quiet pictures' that speak. That's why everyone likes it so well. Super!

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    They were shot at about 15:00, and it was very bright light (high pressure today). But, the churchyard is very shady, so none of them were in direct sunlight - more dappled shade.

No, I didn't use flash. I used spot metering for 1 & 2. That gave a good exposure for the headstone and threw the background into darkness, which is what I wanted to get a more moody look. Have to admit the 5D (Mk1) take a nice shot, especially with the colours.

Here is another one from the same set

Out of the tombstone photos, I like this one the best. It has so much mood with the dappled shade, although, the colours of the others in full sunlight is just stunning.

Regarding Dylan's boathouse - lucky that you can visit it! You know, Robert Frost's home is relatively nearby and I've never been. Also, our little church has the most gorgeous graveyard next to it. I've been watching photographers go in there for years, now. I've been wanting to go in, too, but just haven't had the chance to, yet. Like you and Raylee, I love the history and beauty in graveyards. They're so fascinating! I'd need snow shoes to get in, at the moment, though.

Oh, Dylan's boathouse.... is that an estuary, there, then? I miss the ocean tremendously - VT is a little landlocked. I can't remember the last time that I got a proper whiff of salty air. Jealous!

rob marshall

Oh, Dylan's boathouse.... is that an estuary, there, then? I miss the ocean tremendously - VT is a little landlocked. I can't remember the last time that I got a proper whiff of salty air. Jealous!
    It's an estuary. here it is on the map.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=51....13&dir=0&sty=s You should be able to zoom out to get a wider view.

You two wouldn't be related would you?
    er, yeah,.... Hope not!!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Rob

Can you tell us what you exposed for on this? This sort of dappled light is so challenging and to get a good exposure is quite a feat. So .. share!!

ps - Yeh, s'pose it's awright, like!

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Rob

Can you tell us what you exposed for on this? This sort of dappled light is so challenging and to get a good exposure is quite a feat. So .. share!!

ps - Yeh, s'pose it's awright, like!
    Here is the EXIF

I used f/14 as there was a lot of DOF needed - I wanted it all in focus. The sun is just in the top-left corner behind that tree. I wanted to move right a bit to get a more open view, without so much of the tree trunk, but the sun was directly into the camera, so that was out. But the very strong back-light is what has given that very nice lighting on some of the stones.As you can see here...

And here is the original RAW, straight out of the camera. As you can see, it is a bit blown in the sky peeping through, but I managed to reduce that in CS5 RAW. I used Silver Efex Pro for conversion, and I used the High Sturcture pre-set.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Very nice series, Rob. You give a lot of us something to aim for.

Real Name
    Jeff Mollman

Beautiful shots Rob! The gravestone shots seem a little more documentary, but I find the last shot of the cemetery row very evocative indeed. But the most amazing of all is the one of Dylan's writing shed! That is a VERY powerful image to me with a lot of emotion behind it. Beautiful! I envy you people in the parts of the world where you have such subjects to shoot! Excuse my while I host my personal pity party

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmoll View Post
    Beautiful shots Rob! The gravestone shots seem a little more documentary, but I find the last shot of the cemetery row very evocative indeed. But the most amazing of all is the one of Dylan's writing shed! That is a VERY powerful image to me with a lot of emotion behind it. Beautiful! I envy you people in the parts of the world where you have such subjects to shoot! Excuse my while I host my personal pity party
    Thanks, Jeff. I have printed the image of the shed at A3, and it does look very impressive. What's really impressive though is that I had tto shoot it though glass. The shed is always locked, but there's a small view window in the door. When I showed the print to the site manager she was very impressed with it, but she still wouldn't let me in to take a proper shot...

Real Name
    Matt

I'm another cemetery fan and I think this series rocks.
    The third shot is wonderful. I love that contrast and the light is beautiful.

Real Name
    Kay

Oooo, Rob! Kay is right - it's one of those 'quiet pictures' that speak. That's why everyone likes it so well. Super!
    and p.s I did know which 'Dylan' you meant the other day.....I was just being cheeky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast