Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunset

Real Name
    Rohn

Sunset

C&C appreciated - I saw the portraiture class being offered - I'm going to take advantage of that but wanted to post this shot anyway - I took this in the Los Angeles harbor area on a Sunday afternoon - I like this shot although I know it has lighting issues Thanks

sunset.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 18th January 2011 at 07:43 AM.

Real Name
    neil

Re: Sunset

Hi Rohn,

to me the most important thing about most portraits are the eyes.. so photos of people while they are blinking or wearing sunnies are generally difficult to carry off successfully unless there is some other dimension to the shot. Like a super cool blues musician .

In this she is obviously wearing sunglasses, so it just doesn't generate enough power as a portrait.

However I like the framing and sharpness is good so certainly it has positives also.

This looks to me like a street candid? If so then I believe you were busted.

neil
    Last edited by Donald; 18th January 2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Edit to second para

I actually like this. Portraits like you mention Neil, are great for that person or for adverts, but I like the candid natural portrait. Especially in this case the serious look, the reflection in the glasses and the natural, windswept-ness of the photo. I would, personally have cropped it differently. I would have cropped it in portrait with the right hand side of her hair cropped a little to put her glasses on the horizontal upper 1/3s line, and the imagined inner eye on the 1/3 vertical line. If the arm is extended or the body has an interesting shape I would possibly have cropped lower, and I love playing with rotating tool to see if the picture mood is enhanced by a slight rotation. (sometimes emphasising the cheekiness or somberness of the subject.) If its your wife - be careful here though, she might not want to look more somber!) Di

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Rohn,

I think it's a nice shot

For some reason, personally, I hesitate to call it a portrait though; it's not a quality issue (it looks great) - perhaps it's because the eyes are hidden? "Candid" comes to mind.

Real Name
    Rohn

Yeah busted Thanks for your comments - I agree the eyes are very important in a protrait shot - I hope to post more.

Real Name
    Rohn

Thanks Diane Darlow: appreciate your constructive comments - I will definitely try your cropping suggestions - glad you liked the shot -

Real Name
    Rohn

Colin Southern:
    Thanks - the eyes are hidden and have been commented on by another also - I didn't have a real choice there - I liked the shot too - obviously - thanks again