Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Thirsty

Real Name
    Rohn

Thirsty

thirsty.jpg

C&C please - this is my second post only - wish me luck - I would like your comments concerning this image - I would like more contrast - if possible without throwing the background out of focus -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th January 2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Thirsty

I like the shot but think it would have been better had the focus been on the eye. Here is a little more contrasty go and a little sharpening as well. I may have went a shade to far but it was a quick go at it.

Thirsty
    Last edited by jeeperman; 17th January 2011 at 03:51 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Why does blowing out/burring the background concern you? It is the goose drinking which holds the viewer's attention, not the background.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th January 2011 at 01:09 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Rohn,

I do like the diagonal shape caused by the angle of the goose drinking and filling the frame has accentuated the shape.

I do not think you could get more contrast in-camera it needs to be done in post production. Do you do any post production work on your images? All digital images need some contrast and sharpening due to softness caused by the low –pass filter that sits across the sensor. Paul has given you an idea of what this would look like and I have to agree that on my screen it looks a bit too contrasty now but as Paul said it was just a quick fix for demonstration purposes.

The top right corner is a little bright but again you could ‘burn this in’ (darken) this area in post production. The histogram for this image looks fine so exposure is not an issue. Maybe reflection in that top right corner that could have been minimised with a polariser but otherwise this is not something that could necessarily be fixed in camera.

I think you captured this well now it is just a little finishing in post production to make it shine.

Well done.

Real Name
    Rohn

Excellent point thanks.

Real Name
    Rohn

I like the sharpening. Thanks. I will work on my RAW image to see if I can improve upon this image - Thanks again. I'm using CS3.

Real Name
    Rohn

That's really good info - especially the bit of technical stuff about the low-pass filter that sits across the sensor. Thanks. I will try your suggestions. I'm encouraged to post more photos.

Real Name
    Peter

I am glad it helped and I look forward to seeing more.