Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Frosted Windows

Frosted Windows

Frosted Windows

Frosted Windows

Frosted Windows

I raided my husband's office and stole his beautiful tripod. Shocking, I know! But, I finally got to try out the new lens, properly. These are a few photos. What do you think, please?

rob marshall

Re: Frosted Windows

Excellent, Katy. Wonderful patterns. How cold was it?

Real Name
    Yegor

OH! it's really amazing!!!!!Very very nice! Now i wish frost in Venice!

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Excellent, Katy. Wonderful patterns. How cold was it?
    Thanks!

In the 20s F, maybe. Right now, it's 13 F (-10.55555555 C) and dropping.

Oops! and I just saw your comment, Yegor! Do you still wish for frost in Venice?

I agree. No 2 is the pick for me with good focus throughout. In No 1 the focus drops off at the bottom and No 3 the focus drops off on the right. However I would be tempted to play around with the tonal curve a little in number 3. The biggest problem with any PP is going to be the very tiny specks of water/ice since they will be accentuated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I agree. No 2 is the pick for me with good focus throughout. In No 1 the focus drops off at the bottom and No 3 the focus drops off on the right. However I would be tempted to play around with the tonal curve a little in number 3. The biggest problem with any PP is going to be the very tiny specks of water/ice since they will be accentuated.
    Thanks, Steve! er, could you ilucidate, though, please? (and, btw, of course I'm still talking to you!)

Real Name
    Yegor

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Thanks!

In the 20s F, maybe. Right now, it's 13 F (-10.55555555 C) and dropping.

Oops! and I just saw your comment, Yegor! Do you still wish for frost in Venice?
    Yes! And very much! I have got used, that in winter was-20 - 35!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Thanks, Steve! er, could you ilucidate, though, please? (and, btw, of course I'm still talking to you!)
    This is what a 50% 140px radius Local Contrast Enhancement (applied with USM) looks like, it might be what Steve was aiming for (or trying to avoid)

Frosted Windows

Nice shots Katy, that never happens on our windows - are yours double glazed?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Goodness me. How did I miss this thread earlier.

That is a mighty impressive set of images. So we can conclude that you're now starting to understand the new lens.

that never happens on our windows
    When I were a nipper we had frost like that on the inside...and that was in summer

Yes, the very small drops start to look like grit or as Dave has illustrated. If you hit the tonal curve to hard or lean the contrast slider this will happen. It can be a good thing on some images but I think maybe not here.

I had totally forgotten about the word elucidate. It is very Stephen Fry. I may pinch that myself

and, btw, of course I'm still talking to you!
    I am relieved. My sense of humour does get me into trouble every so often

I raided my husband's office and stole his beautiful tripod
    No no Katy you have got it all wrong. In our household WireVixen owns everything....I just borrow it. It maybe a north of England thing but here the lady of the house gets control of the wage packet/bank accounts and gives her bloke pocket money. You wouldn't have to raid his office here and if he didn't like it you would cut off his beer money and his birthday promise. It works surprisingly well. Men who are married and have their own bank accounts and there own property are eyed with deep suspicion. Oh, we bluster and puff out our chests but the women rule the roost...and the camera gear

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Goodness me. How did I miss this thread earlier.

That is a mighty impressive set of images. So we can conclude that you're now starting to understand the new lens.
    YES! I needed to figure out a new tripod situation, first. I couldn't believe that I had this lens but hadn't tried any macro. However, when I was starting out, yesterday, I was trying to photograph some lilies and without the zoom, I got really discouraged. It got better, though. I just had to talk myself down out of the tree of discouragement (and I wonder if that would make sense to anyone???) So, yes, it's getting better.

They're really good? (hopeful smilie?)

Dave, thank you for showing me. I might be able to go and do that in iphoto. (The new PP options are still just in the works. )

You know, I really do have a question, though. I thought that I was pretty much straight on these and hand focused on the part that I wanted but I thought that they would all be in focus. I did use the f2.8 because there are pine trees through the back of the window that I didn't want to show up. Is this why part of the photos aren't in focus - because I wasn't exactly parallel and they got blurred out in the circle of confusion? (Did I even say that right?)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Katy,

You know, I really do have a question, though. I thought that I was pretty much straight on these and hand focused on the part that I wanted but I thought that they would all be in focus. I did use the f2.8 because there are pine trees through the back of the window that I didn't want to show up. Is this why part of the photos aren't in focus - because I wasn't exactly parallel and they got blurred out in the circle of confusion? (Did I even say that right?)
    Ah, but at f/2.8, there will be so little depth of field that unless you are perfectly 'square on' to the window pane, bits of it may go out of focus. I'm sure that's all it is.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Katy,

Ah, but at f/2.8, there will be so little depth of field that unless you are perfectly 'square on' to the window pane, bits of it may go out of focus. I'm sure that's all it is.

Cheers,
    Thought so! Donald, apparently, I'm still getting used to my new lens.

and, thanks, Dave! for some reason, I thought that I might go hunt you up if no one answered. =]

When I were a nipper we had frost like that on the inside...and that was in summer
    I know, I know! AAAAAND, you walked twenty miles to school and THAT was on holiday!

Yes, the very small drops start to look like grit or as Dave has illustrated. If you hit the tonal curve to hard or lean the contrast slider this will happen. It can be a good thing on some images but I think maybe not here.
    I'm glad that you pointed that out, actually.

I had totally forgotten about the word elucidate. It is very Stephen Fry. I may pinch that myself
    Luuuurve, Stephen Fry - especially as Jeeves. I'm glad that they finally made Wooster and Jeeves into a series. (Yes, yes, I KNOW that that was YEARS ago but I had been waiting after reading the books.)

I am relieved. My sense of humour does get me into trouble every so often
    heeheeheeheeheeeee! You, two?
    As for the rest, Mr. Firefox? I'm so glad that I have you all to always offer such great advice!

Luuuurve, Stephen Fry - especially as Jeeves. I'm glad that they finally made Wooster and Jeeves into a series. (Yes, yes, I KNOW that that was YEARS ago but I had been waiting after reading the books.)
    Are sure you are an American? I strongly suspect your ancestral genes have not been tainted with liquid cheese and cola. Jeeves and Wooster is one of the best TV series ever. Mind you P G Wodehouse is a genius so they had a good start with the scripts. If you have not seen them yet I strongly recommend the Blackadder series particularly the final series 'Blackadder goes Forth' although all of them have me in absolute stitches. You will see 'House' as he should be. Edmund Blackadder really is my kind of Hero.....even if they are a bunch of Oxbridge ponces

rob marshall

Are sure you are an American?
    You must feel very well protected up in Warrington from ship launched Cruise missiles... Liverpool dock is only 30 miles away?

Real Name
    Paul

Those are great Katy! Such an interesting pattern in which the crystals formed.

I attempted to apply some contrast to the one you suggested. Did this make it better? or, is it just the same?

Frosted Windows

Then, by accident, really, I changed the white one and came up with this. What do you think?

Frosted Windows

Oh, and, Dave, it's on the storm window that didn't get closed in time.

Yegor, how did you get used to those temperatures?

Thanks, Jeeperman! =}

Rob, it was -9 degrees Fahrenheit, yesterday morning. That's -22.77777777777778c.
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 17th January 2011 at 01:09 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Have you experimented with your white balance at all. I wonder if, because of the refractive qualities of ice (much like a prism), if working in a spectrum closer to dark blues and blue violets might not give you that contrast boost. when I first tried to shoot my "ice" shots (by the by, there is still a one inch thick piece in my shallow area that's been there for three days), I got far better results when I went from 2500K to 8500K.
    If you can't do that kind of in-camera adjustment, try using a reflector card/cloth on the inside (or, maybe outside but out of the field of vision and use as a fill color) that is opposite of the color you are getting through the camera.