Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The thread "Landscapes - Please post them here" is too big.

Real Name
    Peter

The thread "Landscapes - Please post them here" is too big.

I realise I am new to this forum and there may be good reason, but why is the thread "Landscapes - Please post them here" been allowed to become so big and unwieldy?

I posted a Coober Pedy picture, someone made a comment, and my reply was lost in the thread's vastness.

There is also a monster portrait thread.

Peter.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Re: The thread "Landscapes - Please post them here" is too big.

Peter, I can understand your point. To a newcomer, it must be a bit daunting to wade through all those pages...

Maybe those particular topics need to be split into monthly sections? eg "Landscapes for January: - Please post them here"

What do others think?

Real Name
    Jonathan

I'm new here as well.
    I think that the idea of a thread per month more friendly. Hmm, but anyway, I think that no one will complain if you post your picture in your own thread.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Peter,

I can see what you mean, but is there a particular problem these large threads cause for you? - I'm thinking that, depending what that is, there may be an alternative method to avoid the issue.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Dave,

If the Landscapes thread contained one post per subject, that would be fine. However, people post comments and in doing so, create sub-threads. The posts in such sub-threads are not adjacent and conversation-flow is lost. Admittedly such sub-threads are short, but the opportunity for longer discussions is hampered. You have some splendid forum software, it seems a pity not to exploit it.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Peter,

I can see what you mean, but is there a particular problem these large threads cause for you? - I'm thinking that, depending what that is, there may be an alternative method to avoid the issue.

Cheers,

Real Name
    neil

I agree with Peter.

I believe that if someone makes a comment then that nearly always relates to a specific shot. However in these mass threads then there is a comment on this, then a comment on that. It does not flow.

Also if there is a particularly interesting work then normally you can see that by the amount of posts it gets whereas when they are all heaped in one thread you have no idea if there were any really good shots to see in the past. i don't really want to wade through 200 pages of photos/comments.

I would prefer to see a section for landscapes and portraits If there is a moderator or someone else who takes a particular interest and ownership of any one area then thats great and I am sure you can make that clear. Maybe you can then also have a "best of landscapes gallery" where you could collect the best work submitted in the main section...

just a few thoughts... neil

Real Name
    Peter

"...Maybe you can then also have a "best of landscapes gallery" where you could collect the best work submitted in the main section..."

Perhaps introduce a "Like" button, and if a photograph receives 10 (say) "Likes", then place the associated image in an album. The process can be automated.

Peter.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Guys,

We've had a quick discussion about this "back stage".

A couple of thoughts ...

1. Probably easiest if we simply close this thread when it gets to a nice even 1000 posts, and include a link to a "Part II" continuation thread.

2. Keep in mind though that the "Landscapes - Please Post Them Here" was simply the original poster's thread title ... there's no CiC "requirement" that says landscapes have to be posted there; in fact - personally - I think it's easiest for folks to just create a new thread when they have a new landcape to share - then people can comment on it directly, and we don't get these "performance-challenged super-threads".

Thats why I create a new thread if I want C&C. The megathreads are fine as galleries but the issues that are outlined above disappear if you post your own threads. I do not think a thread a month would cure the problems of maintaining the flow of dialogue in the megathreads.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Thats why I create a new thread if I want C&C. The megathreads are fine as galleries but the issues that are outlined above disappear if you post your own threads. I do not think a thread a month would cure the problems of maintaining the flow of dialogue in the megathreads.
    Because we listen, and because we care, I'd like to make everyone a very special offer: An unlimited supply of your very own threads to showcase your work in

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Because we listen, and because we care, I'd like to make everyone a very special offer: An unlimited supply of your very own threads to showcase your work in
    Excuse me, but that ain't much of an offer. We already have that! Colin, you ought to be in politics!

Seriously, I don't bother with the super-threads any more. There is very little discussion in them, and if you just want to look at shots, well, there are lots of places elsewhere that you can do that. I'd like to see more discussion, and learning, and the best way to do that is to start your own thread and post either one image or several, and ask for comment. We are not Flickr (you can put that on the site banner)

When I first came to CiC, I did not understand these megathreads. They took forever to load and I soon gave up trying to read through them all. The thing is, that, even though they are long, they do contain an amazing amount of good conversation. Sometimes, I think that people do like to "exhibit" their work but I like to think of it more as sharing - places, things that people are proud of or excited about, etc. What I've come to realize, is that it is more like a long, ongoing conversation that anyone can jump into at any time. They are hosted and maintained, too, by several gracious and talented people who, I think, it is a privilege to receive C&C from. It seems to me that it is just something that has evolved and propels itself on it's own and I would definitely not want those who participate to be discouraged. They contribute an awful lot to our community. There are many places to visit and spend time, here, at CiC. Everyone learns differently and have different strengths and interests. I'm sure that there's room for everyone's different preferences and ways of doing things.

Maybe, though, there needs to be a little bit more clarity and organization. Perhaps, there could be a little more explanation at the beginning of these threads. i.e. what they're about, what peoples' expectations about what they're about to get into should be and, maybe, a welcome to just join in - an idea of how to get the most out of the thread. Also, perhaps, it should be clear that, to receive C&C, they need to say so and that it might be more to the point to just start a new thread in the forum. I'm sure that the starters of the different threads wouldn't mind doing that, in fact, I think that I've read it explained, at the beginning of one, that the definition of the thread would be changed as it evolved. Also, maybe, they could be broken down into volumes so that they don't take so long to load and are in more manageable chunks. (er, the long load time might just be my computer, though.) I don't know, I'm just brainstorming a little from one who remembers what it's like to be new, here, but has settled in, a tiny bit.
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 15th January 2011 at 05:22 PM.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Also, maybe, they could be broken down into volumes so that they don't take so long to load and are in more manageable chunks. (er, the long load time might just be my computer, though.)
    It's not your computer, it's your line connection. Mine is the same, even with a new 64bit 6GB processor. I have a relatively low speed and it can sometimes take a long time to load some of the pages in the super threads. I find it quite off-putting, and I usually don't bother as a result. It might help is there was some agreement about file sizes posted to keep the problem to a minimum, but I think you will always have a problems when there are lots of image files on a page.

I suppose one of the problems with not having super threads is that the normal queues would get quite conjested, and would perhaps not get many replies as a result. You could increase the number of thread queues, but that might just cause the same problem - people wouldn't look in some of the queues.

Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    When I first came to CiC, I did not understand these megathreads. They took forever to load and I soon gave up trying to read through them all. The thing is, that, even though they are long, they do contain an amazing amount of good conversation. Sometimes, I think that people do like to "exhibit" their work but I like to think of it more as sharing - places, things that people are proud of or excited about, etc. What I've come to realize, is that it is more like a long, ongoing conversation that anyone can jump into at any time. They are hosted and maintained, too, by several gracious and talented people who, I think, it is a privilege to receive C&C from. It seems to me that it is just something that has evolved and propels itself on it's own and I would definitely not want those who participate to be discouraged. They contribute an awful lot to our community. There are many places to visit and spend time, here, at CiC. Everyone learns differently and have different strengths and interests. I'm sure that there's room for everyone's different preferences and ways of doing things.

Maybe, though, there needs to be a little bit more clarity and organization. Perhaps, there could be a little more explanation at the beginning of these threads. i.e. what they're about, what peoples' expectations about what they're about to get into should be and, maybe, a welcome to just join in - an idea of how to get the most out of the thread. Also, perhaps, it should be clear that, to receive C&C, they need to say so and that it might be more to the point to just start a new thread in the forum. I'm sure that the starters of the different threads wouldn't mind doing that, in fact, I think that I've read it explained, at the beginning of one, that the definition of the thread would be changed as it evolved. Also, maybe, they could be broken down into volumes so that they don't take so long to load and are in more manageable chunks. (er, the long load time might just be my computer, though.) I don't know, I'm just brainstorming a little from one who remembers what it's like to be new, here, but has settled in, a tiny bit.
    I'm a new kid on this block and I understand the frustrations expressed. I also very much appreciate the responsive way Mods are handling them. (thanks guys) I'm cool with whatever you folks do. I should like to point out that I feel Katey made a good point about the positive aspects of megathreads – and the positive dynamic that results. For an example of this – on steroids – take a look at:-

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984

Regards,

Nick.

no fake Antonio Correia threads
    i only post in the original

The thread "Landscapes - Please post them here" is too big.

It's not your computer, it's your line connection. Mine is the same, even with a new 64bit 6GB processor. I have a relatively low speed and it can sometimes take a long time to load some of the pages in the super threads.
    Yep, they load immediately with my 50mb connection and my computer is significantly less powerful than Rob's.

Katy has some valid points but I am not convinced about the conversational value since the flow is often stunted or broken. Seems we have an impasse but there seems little value in shifting the status quo.