Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: More lilies

Real Name
    Raylee

More lilies

You may have worked out by now that I love lilies. I always have (think Morticia). I am particularly influenced by Robert Mapplethorpe's flowers (warning: Mapplethorpe is not everyone's cup of tea). Anyway, this is another lily shot that has been inspired by Mapplethorpe.

More lilies

Please let me know your feedback.

Thanks

R

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: More lilies

I can only give you one word for my feedback, Raylee... Beautiful!

Real Name
    Chris

Maplethorpe did a lot of photography that wasn't at all "edgy" and his flower series is quite lovely. I've always thought his portrait of Andy Warhol was one of his best.

Your Lilies certainly reflect his Calla Lilies, quite admirably. I think the only criticism I have is I would like to see the lily on the far right a little smaller and a wee bit lower. I know you need that one for balance but it seems to want to compete with, as much as compliment the setting.

The lighting is just perfect. Well done, say me.

Real Name
    Raylee

Thanks gents!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The apparent simplicity is its strength. Very well conceived (even though it might have been inspired by another image) and executed.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The apparent simplicity is its strength. Very well conceived (even though it might have been inspired by another image) and executed.
    Thanks Donald. Not so much inspired by one particular image but the style of Mapplethorpe's work. Have you seen his photos? Stunning B&W. I love them but, like I said, be warned because some people may find them offensive.

I can only echo what everyone else has said. Beautiful shot. Dare I say it; but I would lose the vase the image does not need it and the composition would be simplified even more. Excellent work

be warned because some people may find them offensive.
    I am certainly offended.......why didn't you mention him before

Offence opens the soul of the offended
    Last edited by Wirefox; 9th January 2011 at 12:02 PM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Beautiful Raylee, and viewed in the Lytebox against black it is even better.

Wendy

Real Name
    neil

very nice flowers, just not sure about the top of the vase... It's a little too strong for me on the edge of a shot like that... either crop or maybe if you took down the highlights on that it would work?

rob marshall

Very good, Raylee. But I think the one on the right needs to be closer to the others, and I would take out the vase. I know in Mapplethorpe's he often has a vase or part of a vase, but your just looks as if it's there by accident rather than an essential part of the composition. I did a quick crop, which has also removed some of the space.

You can get a bit more light underneath (on the stems) by sitting the vase on a white card, which will bounce some of the light back up.

http://www.mapplethorpe.org/portfolios/flowers/

More lilies

Real Name
    Jeroen

As I said before, you capture lilies great. Simply stunning.

Including the vase could be done like this:
    Joel Tjintjelaar's flower studies on flickr. Tjintjelaar's interpretation is also very impressive.

I'm really inspired by how Mapplethorpe manages to suit the use of light to the subject (especially to pronounce the curves and shapes). There's a very interesting interview on youtube in which he explains he did the flower studies especially to practise his lighting techniques. As controversial as his photographs can be, he captures a sense of beauty and own vision in them that is very rare in the world of photography I think.

And Raylee, be sure you keep being inspired by the great photographers on this earth. It surely gets you far.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Very good, Raylee. But I think the one on the right needs to be closer to the others, and I would take out the vase. I know in Mapplethorpe's he often has a vase or part of a vase, but your just looks as if it's there by accident rather than an essential part of the composition. I did a quick crop, which has also removed some of the space.

You can get a bit more light underneath (on the stems) by sitting the vase on a white card, which will bounce some of the light back up.

http://www.mapplethorpe.org/portfolios/flowers/
    You know exactly what I was trying to do Rob. I always concentrate on the flower in isolation so this time I was trying for something a bit broader. But I agree the vase can go. I'll keep playing with flowers. And you're right - I didn't use anything reflective underneath. I'll try that next time. I'm trying to work out how Mapplethorpe managed to include vases and tables without losing the strength of the flowers.

JK6065

Thanks Jeroen.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post

Including the vase could be done like this:
    Joel Tjintjelaar's flower studies on flickr. Tjintjelaar's interpretation is also very impressive.

I'm really inspired by how Mapplethorpe manages to suit the use of light to the subject (especially to pronounce the curves and shapes). There's a very interesting interview on youtube in which he explains he did the flower studies especially to practise his lighting techniques. As controversial as his photographs can be, he captures a sense of beauty and own vision in them that is very rare in the world of photography I think.

And Raylee, be sure you keep being inspired by the great photographers on this earth. It surely gets you far.
    Jeroen

Thanks for sharing the link to Joel Tjintjelaar. He does lovely work. From him, I discovered Imogen Cunningham. According to wikipedia:

'Imogen Cunningham (April 12, 1883 – June 24, 1976) was an American photographer known for her photography of botanicals, nudes and industry.'

I'm going to do some research to explore her wonderful photographs.

Thank you for sharing

R

Real Name
    Chris

I adore Imogen Cunningham and so will you. She was one of the great "somewhat unknown" masters of photography. While you are giving her a practiced eye, you might want to have a look at Harry Callahan.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    ... you might want to have a look at Harry Callahan.
    I assume not the one with the 44 magnum