Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hockey Pictures

Real Name
    Paul

Hockey Pictures

Here are a few shots I took from a hockey game a few weeks ago with my 5D and Tamron 75-300mm Lens.

Some of the pictures came out a little blurry because I was afraid if I raised the iso above 800 -1000 I would lose some image quality. A fellow photographer friend told me that the iso quality on the 5D camera is good at 1000, so dont be afraid of going that high. He also told me about the 1/ over rule, so I hope to be able to go down to another game and take some more pictures.

I welcome any critique and advice!

Hockey Pictures
    Hockey Pictures
    Hockey Pictures
    Hockey Pictures
    Hockey Pictures

The rest of the pics can be found here.
    http://www.paulrizziphotography.com/...36307917_ePnME

Re: Hockey Pictures

Good color.
    I have been out of the NYC area for a long time.
    I remember how it was so much easier to shoot at at the Nassau Coliseum compared to MSG.
    Then the Coliseum decided to put glass up high.
    Most of the Photo guys boycotted and then when the Islanders got in the Stanley cup with Gretzky they had no choice.
    The Coliseum put holes in the Plexiglass and the first time I almost got knocked into the seats as I was shooting and not paying attention to what was coming at me, like to big heavily padded Hockey players. I think I had the imprint of the camera on my forehead for about 5 days.
    Did they ever change the Tungsten lighting at MSG ?

Greg

The photo did not attached the first time, let me try again

greg

rob marshall

Paul

It's probably the ice doing it, but they look a little cool to me. I took the last one and warmed it slightly in CS5 ACR. The composition might look better with the striker more on the left going 'into' the empty space. It gives more the impression he is heading for the goal, rather than just in the 'centre' of the shot and the field.

Hockey Pictures

Can you help me out here.
    I uploaded a picture, it said Success but it did not show either time.
    The first time I hit the quick reply button and thought that was the issue.
    The second time I hit the standard reply.

Any thoughts on what i am doing wrong ?

Greg

rob marshall

Paul

You might get better quality if you post images with a larger resolution. Your last shot (the one I edited) was only 68k. 200K might give better results. You can also go to 700pixels on the long side, not 600.

Real Name
    Paul

Wow, you go back to the good ole days of Islander hockey.

Im an amateur photographer with the hopes of becoming a professional... someday. From what I remember, they still have tungsten lighting at MSG. The last time I took pics at MSG was when I went to the PBR last January.

I was able to get ice level tickets to the Islander game for $22 so I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity of being close to the action. I thought the security guards at the gates would give me a hard time with the camera, but they just let me in without checking my camera bag.

Real Name
    Paul

Rob, thanks for the tips. As for the picture, there was alot of "dead space" so I cropped it. I can post a larger version of the picture if you want. As for the white balance, I shot using Auto and I changed it to tungsten when processing the picture. The picture orignally had a slightly warmer cast.

trying upload again.
    I am copying and pasting the link to the message board

Hockey Pictures

$22.00 for a seat in NY Hockey.
    I was an original season ticket holder and I think my seats were more in 1972.

I had Yankee tickets for 38 years and I think I am giving them up as my in laws company is having hard times.

I had seats in the 8 row behind the Yankee Dugout for 36 years.
    The last year of the old Stadium the cost was $250.00 per seat per game.

To renew the same seats for the new Stadium it would have been $2500 per seat per game.
    Needless to say I moved back to the 24 row and the cost was $325.00 per seat per game.

They reduced the cost this year but they are still hard to justify the cost, this may be a reason for limited free agent signing

Greg

Hockey Pictures

Real Name
    Myra

Paul, thank you for posting hockey photos! It seems like that's all I've been doing for the past two months and will be paying particular attention to any advice given. Holes in the plexi-glass would be wonderful! Our rink's plexi glass is getting dirtier and more puck/stick marked by the game. I had my cleaner and paper towel out yesterday trying to clear some spots, but it didn't much help.

I've been sticking to an iso of 800 with my Canon 40D and 85m 1.8. That's the best I can do for gear

Really like your #4 shot., but all of them are very crisp.

Myra