Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First Shots of the New Year

Real Name
    Paul

First Shots of the New Year

I woke up early New Years Day and had the urge to wander down to the local preserve and take a few wintery landscape shots before the snow melted away.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: First Shots of the New Year

Hi Paul,

I think I prefer #2 and, best, #4.

On the latter; I love the shadow (and the duck is nice'n'sharp), but I think I would crop a good 10% off width on right.

I seem to be overly lethargic this winter, I really must get out more like this (I did last year).

Cheers,

Real Name
    Nick

Hi Paul,

I really like #3 - There is a sense of "impending doom" coming from the left hand side of the frame, as the snow and branches creep toward the water. You've managed to create a sense of movement from something which was absolutely still - well done.

#4 is a beautiful capture as well, though I agree with Dave in cropping a bit of the space to the right.

#'s 1 & 2 are a bit too busy for my personal taste; I have a hard time seperating the focal point of the image from all of the tree branches.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Paul,

I think I prefer #2 and, best, #4.

On the latter; I love the shadow (and the duck is nice'n'sharp), but I think I would crop a good 10% off width on right.

I seem to be overly lethargic this winter, I really must get out more like this (I did last year).

Cheers,
    I have to admit, capturing the shot of the duck before landing was extremely lucky since I wasnt entirely prepared for it.

Agreed, I need to get out a bit more myself. Especially in NYC after snowfall. The problem is when there is too much of it , it paralyzes the city and makes it difficult to get around.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BongoBob View Post
    Hi Paul,

I really like #3 - There is a sense of "impending doom" coming from the left hand side of the frame, as the snow and branches creep toward the water. You've managed to create a sense of movement from something which was absolutely still - well done.

#4 is a beautiful capture as well, though I agree with Dave in cropping a bit of the space to the right.

#'s 1 & 2 are a bit too busy for my personal taste; I have a hard time seperating the focal point of the image from all of the tree branches.
    The problem I found shooting down at the preserve is that there is too much overgrowth in most areas. Its mostly untouched and makes some shots difficult with all the branches in the way. I wanted to capture the creek with the 'S' curve but I found that to be difficult with all the branches that were growing on the banks of the creek. I have to explore the other parks in my area.