Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I put a "frame" around an image?

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: How do I put a "frame" around an image?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Click on one of the two color boxes at the bottom of your toolbox. this will lead you to the color palette. White is at the top left or bottom left in the RGB box in the color picker dialogue menu, type in 255, 255, 255. If you ever want pure black, type in 0, 0, 0
    Thank you, Chris.

Real Name
    Chris

You are always welcome.

Real Name
    Alan Hilditch

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    First, Load your image inside photoshop CS5.

1. Now, press ALT and keep it pressed while double-clicking the background layer box on the layers pallete. (Not the thumbnail area but anywhere in the box). You should see that from seeing "background" it now shows "layer 0" as the name of the image box. The reason why you do this is to "unlock" the image layer to make it editable and movable.

2. Now, press the small "create a new layer" button on the layers pallete (beside the trash can button) to create a new layer. This new layer will now be the layer that you will use for your frame. It is labeled "layer 1" by default. You will also notice that is was placed on top of layer 0.

3. Now, click "layer 0" and drag it above "layer 1".

4. Click layer 1 to highlight it.

5. On the tools palette (left side of your CS5 window, select the CROP tool. Start dragging your mouse from the top most left part down to the right most down part to select the whole layer 1 image area. You should see control handles appearing on your image boundaries. This control handles are adjustable. By adjusting them, you can actually increase the size of the image area without entering any numerical values. By simply dragging the handles (small squares in the middle of the lines) outward that determines the "extra" image space for your frame. Once you're done with the dragging (top, bottom, left and right) just press enter to let CS5 accept this new image size.

6. By default, you would see a new transparent area extending outside the image area. If you want to color it white (or black), just use the "paint bucket tool" on the tools palette and then click it anywhere the frame area. This action will fill the frame with the color you selected.

That's it! Once you get the hang of it, it will only take you less than 2 minutes to finish the whole process.

7. If you want to make it "fancier" you can add some drop shadow effects to the original image area and you can also add your own copyright logo or signature on the frame area.

Hope this helps. If the instruction is a little bit confusing, wait for other members to tell you their own way of adding a frame to an image. Good luck!

This works great, but can the frame be set to match the ratio for 1:1.4142 ie A4 etc

Real Name
    J stands for John

Now of course if you use Paint Shop Pro for the features that PS and PSE don't have It is just a click to open the tool and a menu comes up and you place the image with any proportion of edge you like. And add text afterwards
    How do I put a "frame" around an image?

It was a small image to start with for web use so I added a 5 pixel grey border and then the offset yellow border 5,5,5,500 and added the text, picking colours off the colour chart.
    Finally cropped off the surplus yellow.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 15th December 2012 at 01:32 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123