Thread: Moon with clouds, how?

Real Name
    Adriaan

Moon with clouds, how?

I have taken some photo's of the moon that came out descent. I found that I could use a fast shutter speed as the moon is like a light bulb.

Now how do you take a photo of the moon with clouds covering it a bit, cause the fast shutter speed makes the clouds disappear while using a slower shutter speed to get the clouds makes the moon glow all over the photo.

So...how do you take a photo of the moon with clouds having both subjects looking as they should?

Thx!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Moon with clouds, how?

Adriaan

Can I suggest that you hit the 'Advanced Search' button near the top right of the page and once in there and under 'Tags' insert 'Moon'. That will bring up a number of threads in which the subject has been discussed previously, including precisely what you are asking about.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Adriaan

Can I suggest that you hit the 'Advanced Search' button near the top right of the page and once in there and under 'Tags' insert 'Moon'. That will bring up a number of threads in which the subject has been discussed previously, including precisely what you are asking about.
    Hi Donald, Adriaan,

An even quicker method, with no typing, is to scroll down a bit further and click the "View Tag Cloud" link bottom left (below Reply to Thread button) and look through the alphabetically sorted list and click on "Moon".

Cheers,

Real Name
    Adriaan

OK oops my bad...thanks guys for the quick help.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by donderhaas View Post
    I have taken some photo's of the moon that came out descent. I found that I could use a fast shutter speed as the moon is like a light bulb.

Now how do you take a photo of the moon with clouds covering it a bit, cause the fast shutter speed makes the clouds disappear while using a slower shutter speed to get the clouds makes the moon glow all over the photo.

So...how do you take a photo of the moon with clouds having both subjects looking as they should?

Thx!
    When you find out how, do let me know - I have tried and failed, as you've found, the dynamic range is huge. I blame the 'wrong sort of clouds'

I have seen some images here that have accomplished it though

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by donderhaas View Post
    The principles are really no different to any other scene (albeit a high-contrast one), in that ultimately the exposure is governed by the highlights ... after that (unless you're going to use HDR techniques) then all you can do is attempt to reveal the shadow detail using the likes of the fill light control in ACR.

Moon with clouds, how?

Real Name
    John

The problem with this type of shot is that both the moon and clouds are moving or at least the moon is. I tried a shot like that and either the clouds would obscure the moon or my exposure was off on the moon and I only had a few minutes to get the shot before leaving for work. One of those "I'll get back to it later projects".

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    The problem with this type of shot is that both the moon and clouds are moving or at least the moon is.
    But ...

... there's no reason you can't shoot wide open and thus maintain a reasonable high shutterspeed (DoF is unlikely to be a problem).

Do you mean something like this, Adriaan

Moon with clouds, how?

That is a link to a bigger photo so it may lose a bit in resizing.

F11 and experiment with shutter speed until something works. But we are talking about a stable tripod and waiting for perfect conditions to get the moonlight strength and wind speed suitable.

But whatever you do, expect a lot of rejects until everything eventually falls into place.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 6th January 2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: link added

Check out this thread. Question is do you want a faithful reproduction as Geoff has so excellently demonstrated or an atmospheric artistic interpretation as Colin has provided above in post No6? Both styles have their own challenges at the point of capture but I think they are discussed pretty well in the link provided

Good Luck
    Last edited by Wirefox; 7th January 2011 at 06:37 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Both have their issues but I think they are discussed pretty well in the link provided
    The photographers, or the images?

Real Name
    Tim

Here is one I took because I couldn't resist the colors
    Moon with clouds, how?
    I have no idea what to do with it. I shot it in raw mode, but it just seems like an oddity and I am at a loss for PP ideas on it.

The photographers, or the images?
    Sorry Colin and Geoff, neither, I meant the technical challenges of taking the photographs

I must read my posts before posting
    I must read my posts...................

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Sorry Colin and Geoff, neither, I meant the technical challenges of taking the photographs
    Don't sweat it Steve, I'm just kidding

Real Name
    Peter

So I know there are these other threads, but as this popped up first I thought it might be useful to post this link here (it might be in one of the other threads already).

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/howtophoto/index.htm

Shows shutter speeds at various ISO for F16. The settings are the same as what I used from a Dutch site a while ago and these settings seem to work for moon photography (but do bracket a bit just to be sure).
    Last edited by Letrow; 26th January 2011 at 12:17 PM.