Thread: Battery Chargers

Real Name
    Richard

Battery Chargers

I have fallen in love with Eneloop batteries and use them with the standard Eneloop 4 battery charger. Is there any advantage to using another more expensive or more sophisticated charger with my Eneloop batteries.

Note: I always charge either 4 or 2 batteries at a time. I use the batteries in my various Canon flash units (550EX, 420EX and 270EX) and in the old Olympus 5050Z camera which my wife has adopted as her own.

I don't seem to have any problems with the 4 battery charger from Eneloop...

Real Name
    Alan Pezzulich

Re: Battery Chargers

I have a Powerex 4 battery charger/analyzer. I use AA and AAA batteries in different devices 1-4 at a time. Here are the advantages.

Also charges AAA.

Charge 1,2,3 or 4 batteries (AA and AAA mix or match) at a time (each charging unit is independent so batteries can have different initial charges).

Adjustable charging rate (slow charging increases battery charge slightly, may increase battery life)

Can analyze battery capacity more accutately than battery testers (it fully chanrges the battery, applies a rest period and then discharges down to .9v) If the four batteries in your camera are not working together it will tell you which are good and which are bad.

If you are only using batteries in pairs of fours you probably don't need one of these. You can get a rough indication of battery capacity by seeing how many pictures you can take. Under other circumstances it may be worth considering.

Alan

Real Name
    Ernest

I have three chargers, the Eneloop (four cell), a beha, and another in storage somewhere. I have used the Eneloop only for the last year or so, its just too easy. It also charges AAA. You already have a good charger....

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks guys! The 4 cell Eneloop charger seems like it is doing a nice job.

Eneloop batteries have revived the little Olympus 5050Z which my wife has taken over as her camera. The darn little Oly does a decent job for party snapshots (which is what my wife likes) but it eats batteries. The rechargeable Eneloops are a cost efficient method of shooting.

BTW: I don't like shooting party snapshots, especially in other people's houses. However my wife likes them! I solved that problem by recycling my old Olympus 5050Z for her to use. She's happy and I get to enjoy the party without worrying about putting down my gear and having it broken or otherwise disturbed.