Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: West Lomond in Winter

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

West Lomond in Winter

Two images from the one location : A bit like these 2-for-1 offers you get in supermarkets. Turning right just a bit more than 90 degrees from this, gave me this. There was, as you can see by comparing, a very different sky developing which, in this one, I wanted to make the most of. So I cooked it a bit more with a dark orange filter from within DxO.

The undisturbed field of snow, in which I was standing, cut a beautifully clean line as it went up and over the rise.

West Lomond in Winter
    40D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS @ 35mm. ISO100. 1/20@f11. Manual. 2-stop GND. 10:42am
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd January 2011 at 09:57 AM.

Real Name
    Kay

Re: West Lomond in Winter

now this is a wee step away from the usual dmack is it not?
    can I be honest and say at frist I though %^&$^&%$*^% internet has dropped out again and won't load the full image

But then when I rested and stayed awhile (and importantly enlarged the picture) and to me this one has more a sense of wonder....if we didn't know where we were, we can imagine ourselves on top of the world perhaps on Mt Everist...which is the same feeling I got from 1 of Wendy's images in the abstract nature theme....they would both look great in a series on our study wall

Real Name
    Wendy

Like Kay said this is an unusual one for you. I do like it though, the sky against the pure white snow, with just enough on the left to keep one looking. It works for me.
    For me there seems to be a bit of a problem with the border though. To my mind on this a plain black border might be better. It's fine against the sky, but at the bottom against the snow, I don't want that line with the border and the snow to be so similar to the line of the sky and the snow. Another thing, and don't check to see if I've followed this rule all the time, but if I have a white border against snow, I usually want the snow whiter than the border or the same colour with a fine stroke to separate the two. Thats the best I can explain it. I love the shot, even though it's not your usual, but somehow or other the border is bothering me.

Wendy

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

I think this would be one of the simplest images I've seen from you and boy, does it work. The clean lines and uncomplicated foreground balance that darkening sky wonderfully. I love the tonal range too, with the white snow not being perfectly white. A wall mounter if I ever saw one.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Donald,

I read the comments and studied the image a number of time and I hope you don't mind but I do find it a little too minimalist for me. I try to image this printed to A3 and wonder what there is to hold me. I can image most of your images printed large and displayed on a wall in their full glory but not this one. I do agree with Wendy on the border and it might pop with a black border or something.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Wonderful to have differences of opinion. Thanks, folks.

I think I like it because it is different. Anyway, will let it sit a stew for a few weeks and then see what I think.