Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Still practicing setting white balance in ACR.

Real Name
    Chris

Still practicing setting white balance in ACR.

I think I am getting closer all the time but CRITIQUES would be helpful hint-hint.

Rose From two weeks ago...might be the last of the season.

Wire out in the barn...

Last edited by MiniChris; 3rd January 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Still practicing setting white balance in ACR.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I think I am getting closer all the time but CRITIQUES would be helpful hint-hint.
    Not sure what to say Chris and clearly I'm not alone

Both look OK to me for WB.

There's a strong argument, especially for subjects like this, to just take a shot of a Whi-Bal card and set the WB on it in ACR (or whatever RAW editor you use). That way, you don't need "practice" at WB - it's just right* and done in a trice.

Of course, for some subjects; landscapes and wildlife come to mind, especially with low sun angles, what's technically 'correct' may not look right.

Equally the mixed light scenarios recently seen with half and half sun (lit yellow) and shade (blue sky lit) can be a challenge, but these (here) should be simple.

Real Name
    Chris

I realize now, I should have posted the originals with the edited versions. These are both images I've recovered as "bad" shots from days hence and from a P&S camera. Funny you should mention the gray card as I was at a B&W workshop in Montana when these were taken and out fiddling about while waiting for a print to dry down sufficently. I bet there were no less than 20 such cards in the studio at that time...
    I will post a similar setup later today with two different images including the before and after. There are still some points, I think I am missing, and I think it is more that I am not seeing the forest for all the trees in the way. thanks for your comments. As always, they are good and to the point.

Real Name
    Gary

Chris,

I picked up a pocket white balance card set like this one. A white card, black card, and a grey card, all on a handy lanyard with a quick-release clip.

What I do is take full framed shot of the grey card and use it that image for the custom setting on my 450D. Then I take a wider angled shot of all three cards. This helps when setting the white and black points during PP. I find that there is always room for tweaking in PP as the white balance can be subjective.
    Last edited by didymus; 4th January 2011 at 11:23 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Thank you...I was looking at those today and this looks like just the right thing for me...wil order immediately.

Real Name
    Gary

You are welcome.

I used it the other night while shooting my sons hockey game. Try to white-balance those horrid indoor arena lights without the cards !! I dare ya !! lol

Real Name
    Gary

Oh! And by the way... both shots look very good to my untrained eye!