Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 7D, or 60D, that is the question, and which lens?

Real Name
    Ken

Canon 7D, or 60D, that is the question, and which lens?

Hey folks

I've been a casual photographer for a while and am just starting to understand concepts like Depth of Focus and the like versus selecting that "auto" green box or a mode and then go. I have a Rebel Digital EOS from about 5-7 years ago with the non IS EFS 18-55. I'll be trolling these forums for suggestions on the Canon EOS 7d vs the 60d and just how much difference a f2.8 vs f4.0 lens will get me. I primarily take scenery/landscapes and like to take a panoramic picture of several shots stitched together. Ultra wides seem to get it all but it's reaaaallly tiny. Inside I'll be likely photographing pets that won't slow down or sit just right in the light.

So far I've figured out I'd like a 7D for the autofocus improvements over the 60D, the dust prevention, I Go 4x4ing in the south west dustbowl... and then add the 60D flip LCD to that and I'd be set. I haven't heard any rumors of a new 7D. Though as an upgrade I think the jump to 60D will be sufficient and it's likely better to spend the $$ saved on the glass.

See you all in the forums. Need to go find out about the EFS 2.8 17-55 and the EF 2.8 24-70 L USM or EF 4.0 24-105 L IS USM.

-Ken
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd January 2011 at 11:41 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Canon 7D, or 60D, that is the question, and which lens?

Ken

Press 'Advanced Search' near the top right of the page and in the Tags window enter 'camera purchase' and/or 'lenses'. You'll the be taken to a number of threads where these subjects have been discussed previously.
    Last edited by Donald; 2nd January 2011 at 12:18 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Hey Ken, that is a difficult choice! Cost is a significant consideration in all my purchases. I'm kind of stuck between a T2i and 60D myself at this point. If you are like me, this isn't something you'll be upgrading for several years? So you could ask yourself, well if option B is $300 more, what does that mean over a 5 year span, and what difference would there be in trade in value when that time comes?
    I think that the 7D is clearly has more to offer via its specifications. For me personally, I don't know that I would ever really benefit from what makes it better? If I was making money from taking pictures, I would definitely get the 7D over the 60D, though the tilt screen does throw a curve ball in there. While the 7D is bigger and heavier, this may be an advantage to you. I have a rebel now, and the frame is really too small for my hands, and I would welcome a larger body.
    As many on here will tell you, read all the reviews and specs you want, but you really should handle both of them before making a choice. Sometimes when you pick up a tool you just know 'this is what i want'.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by DohNut View Post
    I have a Rebel Digital EOS . . . with the non IS EFS 18-55. . .suggestions on the Canon EOS 7d vs the 60d and just how much difference a f2.8 vs f4.0 lens will get me. I primarily take scenery/landscapes and like to take a panoramic picture of several shots stitched together. Inside I'll be likely photographing pets that won't slow down or sit just right in the light. . . Need to go find out about the EFS 2.8 17-55 and the EF 2.8 24-70 L USM or EF 4.0 24-105 L IS USM.
    You have managed with the Rebel and kit lens for several years: I guess you will do the same again. Of the gear you mention: the 7D + EF-S 17 to 55F/2.8 IS USM, makes the most sense to me for the tasks you have outlined and provides the best walk around one lens kit,upon which you can build, if you desire.

WW
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 4th January 2011 at 05:15 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Canon introduced, starting with the 40D, three "User Selected Modes" on the mode dial... This to me, is a significant increase in ease of handling because, I can preselect multiple different camera parameters, such as burst speed, auto focus, ISO, White balance (if appropriate), metering type, and AV, AF, M or P modes. Once these are selected and registered in C-1, C-2 or C-3 User modes, I can return to them with a single twist of the mode dial to C-1, C-2, C-3. It is very much like the dummy modes of portrait, sports, landscape, etc., except that you are the one to select the parameters and the selection can include RAW. I always shoot RAW so the dummy modes are totally useless to me.

The 60D, instead of being another step in the development of the 10D through 50D cameras, is sort of a side-step. It includes the dummy modes (which the 7D does not) but only has one user selected mode available. The 7D retains the capability of incorporating the three User selected modes.

I work with User Selected Modes all the time and have them set up for different type shooting, action, night shots, AEB, etc. and I would miss the two modes which are missing from the 60D. This would be only one of the reasons that I would not consider the Super Rebel or 60D. The switch away from the CF card memory is another reason. I have many, many more reasons not to want the 60D. If Canon had not brought out the 7D, I would continue to shoot with my 30D and 40D, rather than get the 60D. However, since the 7D is available, I am going to upgrade my 30D to that model...

As far as lenses; I would select the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS + the 70-200mm f/4L IS. I would rather work with older and less expensive cameras than to compromise my lens choice. IMO, lenses are what make image quality, cameras are what make ease in shooting. Since I shoot with two top line zooms (on a pair of cameras) I do virtually no cropping whatsoever so the increased pixel count is not of great concern to me. I also seldom shoot at over ISO 800 so high ISO is another bell (or is it a whistle) on the new cameras that is of little concern to me.

BTW: Do a Google search using the parameters "60D vs. 7D" and you will get a lot of information comparing these two cameras...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 5th January 2011 at 04:20 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by DohNut View Post
    I'll be trolling these forums for suggestions on the Canon EOS 7d vs the 60d
    I think the main differentiation between the two is how much fast-action photography (e.g., sports) do you plan to do? If it's the majority of your shooting, then the 7D is probably a better tool. If it's not so large a portion of your shooting, the 60D will probably do very well for you.

To me, paying more for a camera body does NOT equate to keeping it longer: these are now digital electronic equipment. Unlike the old mechanical film cameras that we could keep and shoot with for decades, dSLR camera bodies often seem to be upgraded/discarded at roughly the same rate that computers and cellphones are. Paying more for a camera just means you get more features to play with while you have it--not necessarily that you'll keep it any longer, because new shinier features will always beckon with new camera releases twice a year.

... and just how much difference a f2.8 vs f4.0 lens will get me.
    Well, that's easy. One stop. One stop more light, a slightly narrower DoF, and slightly better AF performance would be the general differences between an f/2.8 lens and an f/4 one.

...Though as an upgrade I think the jump to 60D will be sufficient and it's likely better to spend the $$ saved on the glass.
    I'd second that. While the 60D is much-denigrated for no longer being an "upgrade" to the 50D, it's still a sizable step up from a dRebel, offering the dual wheel controls, fast-access buttons and second LCD, and a custom shooting mode. In addition, it has features the 50D didn't: the built-in level, the flip-out LCD, HD video capability, and a flash master in the pop-up that can, for some folks, make up from the "missing" AF-microadjust, joystick, extra UI controls, and metal body. If you were coming from a magnesium-alloy xxD body, a 7D would be your most likely upgrade path, but coming from a dRebel, you probably won't notice the "missing" features, and you'll appreciate all the upgrades that are still in place as well as the lower price tag (the 50D initially MSRPed for about $200 more). Not to mention that you won't have to rebuy your memory cards or remotes/cable releases.

Any lens you purchase is likely to last you longer and hold value better than either a 60D or 7D.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    The 60D, instead of being another step in the development of the 10D through 50D cameras, is sort of a side-step.

Yes. This fact and the results of it, (some mentioned by Richard), when comparing the 7D to the 60D seems to be missed by many folk.

IMO it is a no brainer comparing the two cameras as the 7D is only about 25% more in price. If you are considering spending that money in the first place, and keeping the gear for a period of time, the extra $300 is not that much, IMO.

On the other hand if the extra $300 is impossible, a 50D would make great sense.

WW

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    ...On the other hand if the extra $300 is impossible, a 50D would make great sense. ...
    Not if you want to shoot video.

There's also the fact that prices are different around the world. In the US (where the OP is), the price difference between a 7D and 60D is a much more substantial $600 ($1600 vs. $1000 for the bodies).

For me, personally, a 7D is not a good choice. I don't shoot a lot of fast action, and I use a lot of adapted manual focus lenses, and I swap focus screens a lot--in fact, nuts as it sounds, that's the feature that got me to purchase a 50D (well, that and the Canon Loyalty Program pricing). I find it really weird that the 40D, 50D, 60D, 5D, and 5D Mark II all have interchangeable focus screens and the 7D doesn't. And the one thing the 60D proved is that they didn't have to remove that feature to put an LCD overlay in the viewfinder.
    Last edited by inkista; 5th January 2011 at 01:29 AM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Not if you want to shoot video.
    Yes, I copy that. I knew that. Video has not been mentioned (I think not), hence my suggestion.

There's also the fact that prices are different around the world. In the US (where the OP is), the price difference between a 7D and 60D is a much more substantial $600 ($1600 vs. $1000 for the bodies).
    Good call, thanks, I didn’t know that (I knew the OP location – but not the prices).

For me, personally, a 7D is not a good choice. I don't shoot a lot of fast action . . . I swap focus screens a lot--in fact, nuts as it sounds . . .
    Shooting fast action, whilst the 7D is great, was not the only reason I was recommending – its AF system is pretty good, amongst other things too. On the other hand, Swapping FS does not sound nuts to me at all. I do it too. I also use MF. And yes I agree that is a shortcoming of the 7D.

WW