Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New canon 50D and can't open CR2 files in Photoshop CS4

N.Vancouver but soon to be permanent in Cost Rica
    Real Name
    Roz

New canon 50D and can't open CR2 files in Photoshop CS4

Hi all, I believe I read about this same issue somewhere on the forum but can't relocate the thread. I've tried a couple of Adobe plugins to no avail. Appreciate any help in pointing me in the correct direction.
    Happy New Year!
    Roz

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: New canon 50D and can't open CR2 files in Photoshop CS4

Hi Roz,

Looks like you are in luck - the 50D just crept in on the last CS4 Camera RAW upgrade (5.1) available.

See here (you might need to change country - this is for UK I think)
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4064

I have upgraded Elements a few times in past, you do have to read and re-read the instructions and follow them to the letter to avoid problems, make sure you've got the right ones for your computer and operating system.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd January 2011 at 12:41 AM.

Real Name
    Roz

Thanks for the link. I tried this a couple of times and it's not working for me. Operator error I'm sure. Think I'll give it another try tomorrow before I toss my laptop out the window. I'm on a Mac format but the instructions seemed clear enough <sigh>.http://cdn.cambridgeincolour.com/for...ies2/frown.png

Thanks again,
    Roz

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Zora View Post
    Thanks for the link. I tried this a couple of times and it's not working for me. Operator error I'm sure. Think I'll give it another try tomorrow before I toss my laptop out the window. I'm on a Mac format but the instructions seemed clear enough <sigh>
    Although ... the download says it is for Windows platform - and I can't find a link to a Mac version (although, to be honest, for this kind of file, I doubt there's a difference.

Not sure if Adobe have changed their website, or I have wandered into a bit I haven't used before, but felt it far less useful than previous visits, there seems to be no way to access certain files and articles that should be there (e.g. all the knowledge base docs, etc.) - OK I just found them after setting a region (via link on bottom of page), but from there I still can't find a way to an ACR 5.1 upgrade file

So as I'm not sure where you are, I'd suggest having another look yourself from Adobe.com and selecting your region first, it may help as the anonymous/global part has far less in it.

Sorry you're having problems Roz.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Jim

I have CS5 for PC and am not sure about CS4 for Mac,but have you checked to see if you can update from the program(Help>updates).That should work without going directly to abobe website.

Real Name
    Tom

You'll need to take the old camera raw plugin out first then install new camera raw in its place. At least thats how it needed to be done on Elements. Good luck hope this helps.

Real Name
    Roz

The update is now 5.7. Hehe only took me 2 days to figure that out and the big Mac downstairs updated all on its own. Just my laptop needed babysitting. Thanks for pointing my in the right direction! Now I can really play with my new camera!!

PS this is the very best photography site I have seen. I visit every day. Looking forward to contributing once I muster a little more nerve.

Thanks again, Roz

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    I have CS5 for PC and am not sure about CS4 for Mac,but have you checked to see if you can update from the program(Help>updates).That should work without going directly to abobe website.
    Ah, I thought only CS5 did that (which I have too)

I didn't mention it as everything else, including (I think) Elements 8 , which is same age as CS4, required the manual method (as Tom says) and I've done it so many times ...

Oh well, glad your sorted Roz and look forward to seeing something from your 50D in due course.

Happy shooting,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Although, having now accomplished that ...

... it's my STRONG suggestion that you consider converting your *.CR2 files to Adobe's open DNG (Digital Negative) format. DNG means that you don't have pesky *.XMP "sidecar" files that hold you RAW adjustments (if you don't have sidecar files than ALL you adjustments are held in an internal database, that's I'd bet money on isn't being backed up!).

Adobe have a free DNG converter that will also allow the files to be opened in previous versions of Photoshop, as well as giving you another way to move files from your camera / card + rename them with some powerful naming options in the process. The resultant DNG files are still RAW files, but are also slightly smaller due to better lossless compression. The ONLY downside is that some programs (like DxO Optics) don't support DNG as an input format.

Real Name
    Roz

Thanks Colin. I was wondering about this very thing. Time to start wrapping my head around it.
    Roz