Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Interesting filter use

Real Name
    Pops

Interesting filter use

I ordered another CPL filter the other day. Because the three filter set with case was only $2.00 more, I ordered that one. I received the CPL, a UV and an FL-D (fluorescent.)

While reading the interesting comments about using the filters on the website, I noticed that the FL-D was recommended for sunset and sunrise. hmmmmmm

So, having never thought of using a fluorescent filter for daylight shots I thought I'd try it out. The two shots following were not shot to showcase my photographic ability nor for art, but strictly to see what effect the filter would have on a sunset. Straight from the camera, no PP at all.

With the filter:
    Interesting filter use

A few seconds later, without the filter:
    Interesting filter use

D40 f:5.6 1/125th

I just thought this might interest some of you.

Pops
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st January 2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Pics didn't show, first try

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Interesting filter use

What a dramtic effect that had, I think the top one is far better, it gives it a real warm glow.

But hey, what do i know, im just a novice

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    ... and an FL-D (fluorescent.)
    That's a new one on me, Pops. Interesting indeed.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Pops,

I notice from EXIF there is a slightly different focal length and also the framing isn't the same, plus the filter will have blocked some wavelengths of light more than others, so the pattern/multi-segment auto exposure will have come up with a different answer, but you seem to have compensated and got the same ss, f stop and iso on both, I can't help feeling that is contributing to the effect.

OK that's what you wanted to show, but I suspect stopping down the non filtered shot might have had some similar effects and an alternate WB done the rest.

The counter argument is that if you hadn't compensated with framing and angle of view to get same ss/f-stop/iso and just let the meter take the shot, it might not have looked so different.

Or am I being daft?

Real Name
    Pops

Or am I being daft?
    I'm NOT agunna touch that one.

If I had set the tripod up and gone to full manual, I could have done a better job of true comparison. However, the sunset would have been gone by that time. I just wanted to see if there would be a noticable effect, so set the D40 on P, installed the filter and shot 4 rounds, removed the filter and shot 4 more. The "with" is the last shot of the series and the "without" is the first shot of that series. (I think I remember that properly.)

I was not expecting the dramitic difference. I'll do some more work in the future to get a more scientific evaluation of the technique.

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I'll do some more work in the future to get a more scientific evaluation of the technique.
    Ah, but then I wouldn't have to think about it.

I'm NOT agunna touch that one
    I'll take that as a yes then (you're right of course, daft as a brush, me!

Real Name
    Richard

Being an old film guy, I still have a selection of filters from those days which I do use occasionally when I shoot digitally. However, I usually prefer to shoot without filters (CPL, ND, and very occasionally a GND being the exception) because virtually any other effect can be duplicated in post processing.

Wouldn't you get the same effect by changing the White Balance on the camera to fluorescent?

Real Name
    Pops

I have seen sunset taken with the camera set to Flourescent and it is not the same. That is why I wanted to try it. The results I got were enough different that I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Pops