Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: playing with flash on multi setting

Real Name
    Steve

playing with flash on multi setting

A couple of nights ago, after a bottle of wine, I decided to try experimenting with my speedlite on the multi setting.

It was a very damp and foggy night so there is a lot of glare coming back from the moisture in the air but the quality of the images aside, I love the results.

You may notice the scared look on my face, particularly as I am about to land because I kept crashing into the washing line. In my defence, it was dark and I could only see it once the flash started firing!

I would be very interested to see what anyone else has done with this technique if you would care to post some examples.(I am talking about the flash technique and not people running into washing lines of course).

Re: playing with flash on multi setting

Headline: "Local flasher caught stealing from washing lines."

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by stevewe88 View Post
    A couple of nights ago, after a bottle of wine, I decided to try experimenting with my speedlite on the multi setting.

It was a very damp and foggy night so there is a lot of glare coming back from the moisture in the air but the quality of the images aside, I love the results.

You may notice the scared look on my face, particularly as I am about to land because I kept crashing into the washing line. In my defence, it was dark and I could only see it once the flash started firing!

I would be very interested to see what anyone else has done with this technique if you would care to post some examples.(I am talking about the flash technique and not people running into washing lines of course).

Thanks for sharing. I fully support and embrace, wine/spirit inspired photography

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

That first shot looks a tad painful!

Seriously, it's something I've played with, but not much -- it's fun, but I haven't found much of a commercial market, and so haven't pursued it any further.

Out of interest, you can do something similar if you have a tripod and intervalometer ... just take several shots of the same scene (but with you in different places) - stack them as layers in Photoshop - and just erase what obscures the bits you want to reveal. I did just that with this shot, but it works equally well with flash.

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by djg05478 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I fully support and embrace, wine/spirit inspired photography
    ...and i cannot join your thread with examples of the flash technique....but I'm with Debbie..shots after wine inspiration abound!....

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

This is the same thing that Colin did. Santa brought me a 580ex ii, and I plan on doing some multi function shots. There are quite a few examples of this in bmx and skateboarding magazines.

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by pono View Post

This is the same thing that Colin did. Santa brought me a 580ex ii, and I plan on doing some multi function shots. There are quite a few examples of this in bmx and skateboarding magazines.
    That looks fun

You don't need a flash, just a tripod, and a timer or cable release. Then blend the shots in Photoshop. The results can be quite humorous.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks everyone for commenting. It made a change to just have some fun with the camera instead of worrying about getting everything perfect.

Rob - I am sure there must be a joke/pun in there somewhere about specsavers but I just can't think of one.

Pono - Thanks for this, i will have to have a look and get some ideas. I was already planning to shoot in London when the weather gets better at a place where a lot of kids gather to do Parkour (street running). A mate and I were just hoping to do some nice stuff with fill flash but this will be another thing try and should look a bit more graceful than my effort.

I can see that blending shots taken normally, without flash, in photoshop gives much better results so I will have to try that one next time. I am not sure if my remote release will fire a burst of frames or whether it wants to leave the two second delay each time so I will have to investigate (or buy another gadget which i am sure my wife the understand the usual justification of "my friends at CiC told me I need one".

I am now thinking that this could be the perfect reason why I absolutely must have a 7D because of the 8fps burst rate

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    You don't need a flash, just a tripod, and a timer or cable release. Then blend the shots in Photoshop. The results can be quite humorous.

Rob, I really like this image - no, hang on a minute....