Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bees

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Bees

This is a shot I have taken with a macro 100mm canon lens hand held C&C thanks

Nasseem

Bees

Real Name
    Raylee

Re: Bees

He's lovely Nasseem. It's a very clear, sharp shot. My only comment is that the crop is a bit tight for my liking.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    He's lovely Nasseem. It's a very clear, sharp shot. My only comment is that the crop is a bit tight for my liking.
    Thanks Raylee,

I love your arsenal of waepons. You certainly have the lenses. Thank you for your comment. I just wanted to get up as close as possible. Handheld mind you. I agree with you. What about these?

Bees

Bees

Real Name
    Raylee

I think, Nasseem, that the b&w shot needs more contrast. Make the blacks blacker. The bee looks a little soft in the second one.

I know what you mean about trying to get as close as possible but I've learnt that it's better to step back a fraction. You can remove the extra space later if you don't need it.

I've posted a photo of a bee in the October Photo A Day challenge. I can't find it at the moment. That one was taken with my 60mm macro and I thought I was probably too far away at the time but it worked. I'll track it down for you.

All of my lavendar has finished flowering so I'll have to wait for the bees to return.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    I think, Nasseem, that the b&w shot needs more contrast. Make the blacks blacker. The bee looks a little soft in the second one.

I know what you mean about trying to get as close as possible but I've learnt that it's better to step back a fraction. You can remove the extra space later if you don't need it.

I've posted a photo of a bee in the October Photo A Day challenge. I can't find it at the moment. That one was taken with my 60mm macro and I thought I was probably too far away at the time but it worked. I'll track it down for you.

All of my lavendar has finished flowering so I'll have to wait for the bees to return.
    Thanks Raylee. Ill try and increase the contrast on the B&W shot. Point of focus obviously was not on the bee in the second shot hence it is looking soft. Id like to see your Bee. I notice you use a 60 mm macro canon 2.8?? I use the 100 and very happy with it.

Nasseem

Real Name
    Raylee

I've found him for you.

Bees

Real Name

Bees

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by maloufn View Post
    Bees
    I like the contrast now, but I preferred the previous crop. I like the inclusion of the flower for the context. What software are you using for PP?

I do like my 60mm macro but I'd like a longer macro too. I'm dreaming of the 100mm L but then I'm tempted by the 65mm with 5x magnification. Time will tell!

Real Name

Dear Raylee,

Love the frame and the bokeh. Pity the bee isnt a great specimen. Ive got one very similar shot. Ill try and find it.

Nasseem Bees

Real Name
    Rachel

This is a shot I have taken with a macro 100mm canon lens hand held C&C thanks

Nasseem

Bees
    Nasseem, I like the colours of this one and the nice soft background. I agree with Raylee's comment that the bee needs more space - I much prefer to see the complete wings if the shot is of a whole bee. Focus on the abdomen and hind leg is good and shows the hairs clearly. Focus on the head and eye is not quite as good (particularly noticeable because the front plane of the flower is so sharp), probably because the bee is at a slight angle on the flower.

Over all, though, I like it

Real Name

Raylee,

I agree again with the crop being better in the first image. This is a great learning process. I use PS CS4. I am a beginner but trying very hard to improve.

Nasseem

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by DippyRebel View Post
    Nasseem, I like the colours of this one and the nice soft background. I agree with Raylee's comment that the bee needs more space - I much prefer to see the complete wings if the shot is of a whole bee. Focus on the abdomen and hind leg is good and shows the hairs clearly. Focus on the head and eye is not quite as good (particularly noticeable because the front plane of the flower is so sharp), probably because the bee is at a slight angle on the flower.

Over all, though, I like it
    Thanks Rachel,

All good constructive criticism. Remember, these were taken hand held with these things buzzing around in a garden of lavenders. I thought I was lucky to get those.

Nasseem

Real Name
    Raylee

Raylee,

I agree again with the crop being better in the first image. This is a great learning process. I use PS CS4. I am a beginner but trying very hard to improve.

Nasseem
    I'm learning too. I think it helps to review other people's images in order to develop our own skills.

You have heaps of great photos on your flickr stream!

Real Name
    Rachel

Thanks Rachel,

All good constructive criticism. Remember, these were taken hand held with these things buzzing around in a garden of lavenders. I thought I was lucky to get those.

Nasseem
    I know only too well the luck involved in photographing bees buzzing around lavender I've taken many shots that haven't worked. I also take my shots handheld and I appreciate the difficulties!

I currently use a Sigma 105, but am seriously considering the Canon 100L.

Rachel

Real Name
    Kay

I have enjoyed looking at all these lovely bee shots - I visited NZ in late September where they have spectacular very fat black and yellow striped 'bumble bees', that I would have loved to have a go at catching - but alas was too early in the season then for the bees and the lavender.
    Maybe 1 of our NZ colleagues or someone who has visited there has such an image...