Real Name
    Yegor

Re: A new one

A new one

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Yegor,

Not a bad start, the first looks about a stop or two over exposed, I bet there is clipping of the colour channels on that yellow! (and the white of course).

The second is good exposure, but would have benefited from the stick being cloned out in PP, also it is a bit dark in places.

With your Panasonic TZ2, the small sensor gives a depth of field advantage for these flower shots over a DSLR, but it probably means it is less easy for you to detect over exposure at shooting time with limited exposure metering guidance.

Plus I suspect it doesn't shoot RAW, giving you less options in PP to fix exposure issues like we see here.

If you have it, you might want use the histogram to check exposure after shooting and then (again, if you have it) some negative exposure compensation to take another shot.

If you have someone that could assist you when shooting, the creative use of a reflector to 'throw' sunlight into the shadows, or a fine mesh held between sun and flower to soften the harsh light, would enable you to get better results for minimal outlay.

A good start though,

Real Name
    Yegor

I have left at home my Pentax and have made the shot with simple Panasonic. not an ideal, certainly... Good advice, thanks!