Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cokin Filter holder for Ultra Wide

Real Name
    Nuno Pacheco

Cokin Filter holder for Ultra Wide

Hello all.

I would like to know if any of you have an ultra wide (10mm APS-C format) and use a Cokin (or similar) filter holder.

I wanto to buy one but I don't have enough experience, and I'm afraid to have vigneting.

What do you recommend?

A very Happy Christmas for all of you and your famillies!

Re: Cokin Filter holder for Ultra Wide

Nuno

I have a Tokina 11-16mm. I use the Z-Pro Cokin filters (similar to the Lee system). Even on my full-frame Canon 5D they work well, and I only get vignetting at 11mm. http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/cokinZ.htm

On an APS-C camera you should have no problems at all. If you use the Cokin P series (smaller filters) you can get a holder for ultra-wide lenses (basically just a bit thinner)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Nuno

I will be using the Cokin Z system on my Canon 40D with the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. I have the GND filters and the adaptor ring, but unfortunately my supplier is still awaiting the filter holder coming into stock.

Based on what Rob told me previously and everything else that I have read , I do not expect to experience any problems. If I do I shall blame Rob!

Real Name
    Nuno Pacheco

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I have a Tokina 11-16mm. I use the Z-Pro Cokin filters (similar to the Lee system). Even on my full-frame Canon 5D they work well, and I only get vignetting at 11mm.
    I'm sorry for my ignorance, but.. the Tokina 11-16 is not built for full frame cameras, is it?
    Can you use it completely wide open? Don't you get completely blacked out in the corners at 11mm?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno View Post
    Hello all.

I would like to know if any of you have an ultra wide (10mm APS-C format) and use a Cokin (or similar) filter holder.

I wanto to buy one but I don't have enough experience, and I'm afraid to have vigneting.
    Hi Nuno,

A degree of vignetting is quite common with UWA (ultra-wide-angle) lenses / filters ... but "so what" ... it's just one of those facts of life, and it's usually easily corrected in post processing. so (a) it's often not something you can prevent entirely (although attaching GND filters using rubber bands can help a little), and (b) it'll result in less image degradation than not using a GND in the first place.

Personally, I find UWA lenses are somewhat over-rated for landscape; there's a popular misconception that "wider is always better", and it's just not the case. THe wider the lens the more issues you'll have with the lens pulling in elements of the scene that you DON'T want - the smaller the detail will be (dramatically) - the more issues you'll have with vignetting, and the more issues you'll have with light falloff (where it looks like vignetting, but is caused by the natural variations in light levels over such a wide angle.

I wrote an article for premier filter manufacturer Singh-Ray a while back; you might find it interesting.

Real Name
    Nuno Pacheco

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Personally, I find UWA lenses are somewhat over-rated for landscape; there's a popular misconception that "wider is always better", and it's just not the case. THe wider the lens the more issues you'll have with the lens pulling in elements of the scene that you DON'T want - the smaller the detail will be (dramatically) - the more issues you'll have with vignetting, and the more issues you'll have with light falloff (where it looks like vignetting, but is caused by the natural variations in light levels over such a wide angle.
    I totally agree with you. It is not easy to use an UWA, and I am only starting to learn how to use it.
    I never said that UWA lenses are better in landscaping or that landscapes look better through UWA lenses. (moreover, these filter holder systems can be used not only for landscapes)

At this point, my question is merely technical, and I will read your article. Thank you.

P.S. I appreciatte if you can lead me to articles or books related to Ultra wide lenses.

Real Name
    Pops

I like this article on using UW lenses.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-...ide-lenses.htm

Pops

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    I like this article on using UW lenses.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-...ide-lenses.htm

Pops
    I enjoyed the read too - thanks Pops.

The key phrase that I like to use with UWA lenses is that they allow "agressive perspectives"