Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: House Under Moonlight

House Under Moonlight

House Under Moonlight

Ok, this is a nighttime photo of my house under a full moon. I would like some help with this sort of shot, I can tell right now that the windows are overexposed to the point you cannot see the tree in the window.

What are some of the guidelines to keep in mind when shooting under these conditions? Most likely I would have to use a few of the photos and merge them together to get it to look the way I want.

ISO - 400, Exp - 20 sec, F/5.6, 18mm

I do know that the exposure time was a tad long, but I wanted to see how the snow and moonshine would come out.

C&C needed please.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: House Under Moonlight

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Most likely I would have to use a few of the photos and merge them together to get it to look the way I want.
    Warren

That would have been my starting point. I think your probably only looking at two - one for all that is naturally (moon) lit and one for the artificial lighting.

ISO - 400, Exp - 20 sec, F/5.6, 18mm
    I think the low-light experts would say - Keep the ISO down.

In terms of low-light photography, 20 seconds is fast (see some of Colin's, where you're into 16+minute exposures.

With ISO at 400, you are giving yourself more a battle with noise. If you take the ISO way down then, of course, you would lengthen the shutter speed accordingly for the exposure for teh natural light (assuming we leave the aperture as it is).

I do know that the exposure time was a tad long, but I wanted to see how the snow and moonshine would come out.