Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pride... and Joy.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Pride... and Joy.

I am always fascinated by human emotions. While waiting for my wife to finish the groceries I talked to the greeters at the local Walmart if I can take some snapshot of them. They told me that it's not allowed and I have to ask permisssion to the manager in shift about it. Thinking that there is no harm in trying I approach the manager and told him that I am an amateur photographer studying "people at work". He told me that it is really not allowed. Being a persistent guy (me), I still tried to convince him that this is purely for photographic study and nothing else. After some verbal negotiation he told me that if the guys agree with me taking their pictures then he'll allow it but only for this time alone. With that approval I waited for that moment that both of them are smiling and before somebody blocked my shot I clicked the shutter and this is what I have captured.

Pride... and Joy.
    pride_b&w by jiro bau, on Flickr

Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 lens set at 37mm, f8 at 1/15 sec handheld. Conversion to B&W inside photoshop and Silver Efex Pro.
    Last edited by jiro; 19th December 2010 at 04:26 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Pride... and Joy.

And those two epitomize Wal-Mart greeters. It would have been nice if you could have gotten rid of some of the background clutter, but it too is so Wal-Martish that it's not terribly bothersome. I like that you added some grain to the shot to further emphasize their "age." I love shots like this..one, they are so Americana, and two they are just fun to look at.

Real Name

Glad you liked them, Chris.

Real Name
    Gareth

you mean these guys are employed to say hello and give you a shopping trolley!!? Being from the uk thats not something ive heard of before. Oh, and how often do the damn trolleys actually go in a straight line? lol

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dragonaxe View Post
    you mean these guys are employed to say hello and give you a shopping trolley!!? Being from the uk thats not something ive heard of before. Oh, and how often do the damn trolleys actually go in a straight line? lol
    Well, the ones with all four wheels sometimes go straight, but most of them, though having four wheels, they still have one that locks in sideways and makes you nuts trying to steer the stupid thing. We call them shopping carts....then again, we call boots a trunk and a bonnet a hood...blasphemy, I say.

Real Name
    Elise

you mean these guys are employed to say hello and give you a shopping trolley!!?
    Yes, it's a "Walmart thing" -- they are usually elderly/retired people who probably make about 10 cents an hour. They are always cheerful and helpful.

Jiro, I really like this picture, and I totally admire your tenacity in getting it -- this is exactly why I don't photograph people. At the first hint of "no" I would have been apologetically backing away . . . I think you really captured the spirit of these two guys. Great work.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Yes, it's a "Walmart thing" -- they are usually elderly/retired people who probably make about 10 cents an hour. They are always cheerful and helpful.

Jiro, I really like this picture, and I totally admire your tenacity in getting it -- this is exactly why I don't photograph people. At the first hint of "no" I would have been apologetically backing away . . . I think you really captured the spirit of these two guys. Great work.
    Thanks, Elise. I could have just taken some "stolen shots" of them but I think that would be rude. Besides, I might get into trouble if they say that I am intruding their privacy and later report me to the manager. So I took the diplomatic approach - talk to the manager until he's pissed with me so he'll let me take the pic for being so persistent. LOL! Just kidding. I like taking pictures of people in their "natural" environment, makes it look normal rather than technically composed. Thank you very much for your nice comment.
    Last edited by jiro; 19th December 2010 at 05:01 PM.

Real Name
    Elise

Just an idea, but looking at it again, would a tighter, squarer crop work? It would get rid of the bright area in the upper right (distracting), and some of the clutter on the left. Just a thought.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Just an idea, but looking at it again, would a tighter, squarer crop work? It would get rid of the bright area in the upper right (distracting), and some of the clutter on the left. Just a thought.
    Yeah, that could probably work. My initial idea was to show more of their natural location (foreground and rear shopping carts). I'll fire up my photoshop and do some "magic" with it later. Thanks.